Ooooh!  There's a novel there....

Perhaps there "are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt
of in [our] philosophy...."

Perhaps a "spirit" passes one last time to touch those who are dear to them
in life....the animal has a sixth sense (as spoken of earlier)....a kinship
to the spirit and communicates through howls.  The rest of us just don't
realize the final touch.

(Don't get me started on this stuff.  I come from a LONG line of
storytellers....with too many unexplained things in their pasts and many
stories to tell!)  It will be like an episode of John Edward's "Crossing
Over Meets The History Channel"!

But I love these mysteries, too!  I think the "sixth senses" are very
untapped....and a little eerie to try to explain.  [Sort of like me trying
to explain how I am able to "divine for water" (or dowse for water / witch
for water)--something I don't normally do "for fun" but have been able to do
since I was about 13!  ---a Disclaimer...I am not a witch nor do I dowse
part-time in Texas--although the thought of going to West Texas to try it
sometime HAS crossed my mind!  Oh, what a challenge!]  <g>

But I digress....the idea that animals could know "instinctively" about
atmospheric changes / warnings is something that I can believe.  Great ideas
for books to share!  (or write,...Sharron!?)

~Shonda Brisco
MS / US Librarian
Fort Worth, TX
sbrisco021@charter.net