TARGET: I am taking a course in Children's Literature
and need
to compile a list of Children's Books set in different
countries. If you could send me your favorite books
set in other countries along with mention of the
country it is set in.
I used information several of you shared as well as
other resources to compile the list. Below you will
find the list as I turned it in for my assignment -
complete with my resources.
HIT:
Afghanistan
The Breadwinner by Deborah Ellis

Australia
Koala Lou by Mem Fox
Thank you Santa by Wild
Sun Mother Wakes the World by Diane Wolkstein

Austria
Cristoph Wants a Party by Mira Lobe

Belguim
Dounia by Natacha Karvoskaia
You Be Me/I’ll Be You by Pili Mandelbaum

Cambodia
Silent Lotus by Lee

Canada
Purple Green and Yellow by Munsch
China Homecoming by Jean Fritz

China
Ties that Bind, Ties that Break
The Empty Pot by Demi
Little Plum by Young

Egypt
Heide's The Day of Ahmed's Secret
Hatshepsut by Catherine M. Andronik

El Salvador
A Bear for Miguel by Elaine Marie Alphin

England
Sylvia Waugh space trilogy (Space Race, Earthborn, Who
Goes home?)
Madeline in London by Ludwig Bemelmans

Ethiopia
The Storyteller’s Beads by Jane Kurtz
France
Zat Cat
Charlotte in Paris
Banks, Kate. The Cat Who Walked across France
A Spree in Paree  by Catherine Stock
Eloise in Paris by Kay Thompson
Crepes by Suzette by Monica Wellington
Linnea in Monet’s Garden  by Christina Bjork
Paddington Abroad by Michael Bond
Little Bo In France: The further adventures of Bonnie
Boadicea by Julie Andrews Edwards
French Kitty in Kitty Goes to Paris by Fine
Little John’s Fears by Rene Escucdie

Gambia
Boundless Grace by Mary Hoffman

Germany
The Most Wonderful Egg in the World by Helme Heine

Guam
Keeper of the night, by Kimberly Willis Holt
Isabel, a thirteen-year-old girl living on the island
of Guam, and her family try to cope with the death of
Isabel's mother who committed suicide.

India
Homeless Bird
Monsoon Summer by Mitali Perkins

Ireland
Nory Ryan's Song

Israel (and Palestine)
Samir and Yonatan by Daniella Carmi
A Stone in My Hand by Cathryn Clinton
The Secret Grove by Barbara Cohen
Snow in Jerusalem by Deborah daCosta
Sitti’s Secrets by Naomi Shihab Nye

Italy
Gaspard on Vacation by Anne Gutman and Georg
Hallensleben
The Year I Didn’t Go to School by Giselle Potter
Zoe Sophia’s Scrapbook: An Adventure in Venice by
Elisa Smalley
Vendela in Venice by Christina Bjork

Jamaica
Ajeemah and His Son by James Berry

Japan
How My Parents Learned to Eat by Friedman
Girl form the snow country by Masako Hidaka
Owl Lake by Keizaburo Tejima
Grandpa’s Town by Takaai Nomura
Anna’s Secret Friend by Yoriko Tsutsui
The Master Puppeteer by Katherine Paterson
The Tale of the Mandarin Ducks by Katherine Paterson
Hiroshima by Laurence Yep

Korea
A Single Shard by Linda Sue Park

Lebanon
Sami and the Time of Trouble by Florence Parry Heide
and Judith Heide Gilliland

Mali
Diakit, Baba Wagu. The magic gourd. 1st ed. New York:
Scholastic Press, 2003.
Diakit, Baba Wagu. The hatseller and the monkeys: a
West African folk tale.1st ed. New York : Scholastic
Press,1999.
Wisniewski, David. Sundiata : lion king of Mali. New
York: Clarion, c1992 .
Winter, Jeanette. My baby. 1st ed. New York: Farrar
Straus and Giroux, 2001.
Burns, Khephra. Mansa Musa : the lion of Mali. 1st ed.
San Diego, Calif.: Harcourt, c2001.
Roundtree, Katherine. My little African king. [New
York]: Writers and Readers Pub. for Black Butterfly
Books, c1999.

Mexico
Esperanza Rising
A Library for Juana by Pat Mora

Mongolia
Suho and the White Horse

Morocco
London's Ali, Child of the Desert

Netherlands
My Elephant Can Do Almost Anything by Anke de Vries

Norway
Goodbye Rune by Marit Kalkhol

Pakistan
Shabanu, Daughter of the Wind by Suzanne Fisher
Staples

Poland
Milkweed by Jerry Spinelli
A street child, known to himself only as Stopthief,
finds community when he is taken in by a band of
orphans in Warsaw ghetto which helps him weather the
horrors of the Nazi regime.

Puerto Rico
The Red Comb by Fernando Pico

Russia
Philipok by Tolstoy (Beneduce)
Rechneka’s Eggs by Patricia Polacco
The Memory Coat by Elvira Woodruff

Republic of South Africa
Not so Fast Songololo by Niki Daly
Charlie’s House by Reviva Schermbrucker
Chain of Fire by Beverley Naidoo
Journey to Jo’burg by Beverley Naido

Spain
With Love from Spain, Melanie Martin by Carol Weston
Brush by Pere Calders

Sweden
The Cat Hat by Eva Lindstrom

Switzerland
The other side of the bridge by Wolfram Hanel
A Princess in Boxland by Tanja Szekessy
On the Road with Poppa Whopper by Marianne Busser and
Ron Schroder
King Bobble by Marianne Busser and Ron Schroder
The Old Man and the Bear by Wolfram Hanel
Abby by Wolfram Hanel
The Foundling Fox by Irina Korschunow
Banner in the Sky by James Ramsey Ullman

Tanzania
Elizabeti by Stuve-Bodeen??

Thailand
Hush : A Thai Lullaby by Ho

Venezuela
The Absent Minded Toad by Javier Rondon
The Night of the Stars by Douglas Gutierrez

Multiple countries represented

One-person Puppetry Streamlined and Simplified by
Yvonne Amar Frey

Sources

        Lo, Deborah Eville and R. Jeffrey Cantrell. “Global
perspectives for young readers: easy readers and
picture book read-alouds from around the world.”
Childhood Education, Fall 2002: 21-26.

        Scales, Pat. “Around the World In 22 Books.” Book
Links July 2004: 17-19.

I requested a Target on LM_NET, the responses are
included, as are books from my own readings.

Thanks to all who helped.
Jane Mouttet
Graduate Student Prescott College
on leave librarian, Hilltop Chr. School Window Rock,
AZ
jane@nativeamericanchildrenslit.com