< I discovered just before the holiday break (when a student was
having a problem with an assignment before finals) that the students are not
allowed (or are discouraged from contacting the teachers). >

Wow--we couldn't wait to use this avenue for kids to contact us.  This year
we extended the privilege to 7's (we're k-12). I have had kids e-mail me
even in the summer, especially about databases.  I understand privacy
issues, but a teacher who doesn't care to be contacted by email can let her
kids know that. I love it when kids take the initiative to ask me--they know
I'll answer, and I don't care what time it is when they write! (Maybe we
were happy to supply this service because in the past parents/kids have
occasionally called us at home. Most folks I know would definitely choose
email over that!) It would be interesting to poll the teachers at your
school to see how they feel about it.

Maureen S. Irwin
Library Director
Rye Country Day School