Hi everyone,

I've just posted an essay on the Digital Divide Network website that I
wanted to share. Here's a small piece of it:

The Tsunami as a Wake-Up Call to Bridging the Digital Divide

  As everyone knows by now, the last week and a half has been a trying
time for the people of South Asia. Tens of thousands of people are dead,
millions of lives ruined. Being thousands of miles away from the
epicenters of destruction, it's sometimes hard for me to fathom the
scale of how awful things are.

It's times like this I step back and begin to wonder about the work I do
on bridging the digital divide. Sometimes I ask myself, does any of this
really matter? Is bridging the digital divide really that important when
compared to rebuilding the lives of millions of people, let alone
protecting them in the first place?

But as we learn more about why some people survived and others didn't,
it's made me realize that bridging the digital divide is more important
than ever. Bridging the divide -- particularly in terms of promoting ICT
literacy and e-government for all -- could have actually saved lives....

http://www.digitaldivide.net/articles/view.php?ArticleID=84

--
Andy Carvin