I've been using OpenOffice.org and StarOffice for a long time.
(OpenOffice.org is the free version, StarOffice is the version Sun
Microsystems sells and supports.)

Both versions of the program work very well. Some of the commands are
different, but the compatibility differences are no worse than between
MS Office versions.

The only problem I ran in to was that the spreadsheet only allows 32,000
rows rather than the 64,000 rows you can have in MS Excel... and yes, I
really did have a spreadsheet that had over 32,000 rows... I've since
redesigned it so it doesn't. :)

BTW, sharing OpenOffice.org isn't just 'permitted', it's encouraged...
it's FREE SOFTWARE, you can give it to as many people as you want.

StarOffice, on the other hand, is not free software... schools and
libraries can get it for free, but the public has to pay $80 per copy.
It's a very nice option for schools as there are lots of extras in
SunOffice along with training materials provided for free by Sun:
http://www.sun.com/products-n-solutions/edu/solutions/staroffice.html

And, if I'm going to share one URL, I might as well share the URL for
OpenOffice.org... http://www.openoffice.org/

...brig

On Thu, 2005-01-06 at 11:47 -0800, Anthony C. Doyle wrote:
> Is anyone using Open Office as an alternative to MS Office?  If so have
> there been any compatibility (or other) problems?  I am thinking of
> distributing it to students (permitted under the EULA) who don't have
> Word on their home computers.
> --
> ----
> Tony Doyle, Librarian
> Livingston High School, Livingston, CA
> tdoyle@muhsd.k12.ca.us
> <Http://www.lhs.muhsd.k12.ca.us/library/index.htm>
> "You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture.  Just get
> people to stop reading them."-- Ray Bradbury

> All LM_NET postings are protected by copyright law.
> LM_NET Help & Information: http://www.eduref.org/lm_net/
> Archive: http://www.eduref.org/lm_net/archive/
> EL-Announce with LM_NET Select: http://elann.biglist.com/el-announce/
> LM_NET Supporters: http://www.eduref.org/lm_net/ven.html
Brig C. McCoy                   5109 Cherry St
Head, Systems Office            Kansas City, MO  64110  USA
Linda Hall Library of Science,  816 926-8749 PHN, -8790 FAX
Engineering, and Technology     <http://www.lindahall.org>

PGP Public Key: <http://www.theworld.com/~brigc/pgp/>