When I was an elementary librarian, I used paint stirring sticks.  I allowed
students to use the sticks and place them where they took the books from.  I but
the alphabet on the sticks and the students would take a stick and put it between
the books the book they wanted was shelved.  It has been many years since I served
in an elementary school.  You can get those sticks at any Home Depot or hardware
store.  --elm

Esther L. McRae
Librarian
Paul Robeson High School for Business & Technology
Brooklyn, New York
emcrae@nycenet.edu

"If you want to know a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors,
not his equals."
                                                                  --J.K. Rowling,
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.