Greetings,
There were piles of messages about this topic and I  was asked to post a HIT.
I've included my original question with the replies below.

The reason most people give for separating the two types of books is that
soft cover picture books seem to get lost on the shelf. If that's the case
why isn't everyone separating out the soft cover nonfiction books too. (Of
course that was also done at this school and I can't find anything in the
nonfiction section!!! At least the library monitors seem to know where to
shelve things.)

I'm going to inter file all the picture books and ask the library monitors
to 'Front' the books. Of course this will all take time as the policies
will also have to be changed for these books.
Randi