Hello again!!

Here's a question that has come up...  A teacher bought a collection of CDs with
photos on it back in 1997 or so, and now my IT and the teacher are trying to
contact the company to see what it would take, $$$, in order to be able to share
the photos with the rest of the teachers for that content in the district.  They're
not trying to just copy the photos...they're actually trying to contact the company
to follow the copyright law (wonderful aren't they!), BUT they cannot find out any
information about this company.  My IT says she thinks the company may have gone
out of business, and if so, does that mean it's free now or does it still belong to
someone?

My answer was this...even though the company went out of business, someone still
owns the copyright on the pictures whether it's the original owner or a company who
may have bought the original company.

So, what do you think is correct here?  If the company did just go out of business
and they weren't bought by anyone, who can/should they contact to see about getting
permission?

Thanks!!

Nancy Limmer, Librarian
West Memorial Junior High School