Are there any other districts out there that use a union catalog but don’t employ
a central cataloger?  We cannot afford even a part-time central cataloger.  Each
librarian in our 23-school district can download MARC records and add local tag
information but some original cataloging is, of course, necessary as well as
occasional modifications of MARC records.   We would like for each librarian to be
able modify records where necessary but realize that we need some procedures in
place before we do this.

Do any of you have written procedures or polices in place for letting your staff do
cataloging?  How do you handle consistency? Does anyone on the staff monitor what
is being done?  Any suggestions before we embark on this course?

Thanks much,

Roger Frick, Librarian

South High School

Waukesha, WI