I agree with Paula. I hope we can keep fair use, but unless
administrators are willing to express to their faculties that copyright
infringement includes showing their own or rented videos in the
classroom without securing a broadcast license, nothing will happen. Too
many teachers say, "We're in a small school. Nobody is going to send the
video police to us." The teachers do not have the background in
copyright that we librarians get. I'm sure the administrators must have
been exposed to it in a school law course, but I think many of them
don't take it seriously, either.

I'm tired of being the Grinch or the Barbarian, but I feel that I must
try to keep our school from copyright infringement when I can.

>>> Paula Yohe <paula_yohe@YAHOO.COM> 01/15/05 08:03AM >>>
Before someone sends me a scathing reply -- I support fair use --
WHat I am saying is that in some respects I don't blame the companies
-- How many of you have seen blatant disregard for the copyright laws --
particulary with movies ---
I have seen rooms full of videos that are handed out for entertianment
-- how many times have we seen disucssions right here on this listserv
--
I dont have an answer but I see some of these companies fighting back
against blatant disregard of copyright laws and fair use.

Carol Simpson <Carol_Simpson@UNT.EDU> wrote:
I won't answer about ALA and it's actions, because Carrie Russell
monitors this list. But remember one thing: NO ONE can abridge your
fair
use rights but YOU. The only way you can lose those is to sign
restrictive licensing agreements that limit your use. If you refuse to
do that, you hurt their sales. If enough people do that, they won't be
making much money, expecially when other companies step into the
breach.
There is no single piece of media that can't be replaced by something
else. Let your purchasing power vote for you.

Carol Simpson, Ed.D.
Assoc. Professor - School of Library & Information Sciences
University of North Texas
PO Box 311068
205 Chestnut, ISB #205
Denton, TX 76203
940-565-3776 (voice)
940-565-3101 (fax)
carol_simpson@unt.edu

>>> Vicki Sherouse 01/14/05 10:40 AM >>>

I am very, very concerned with some of the copyright moves by
companies
that have been mentioned on the list lately. One, Discovery Channel
denying fair use to schools for its videos, and Two, books at Sam's
Club
(?) contained in wrappers denying purchase for libraries. It is
obvious
that corporations hate the fact that libraries exist because one book
is
purchased and read by many people. These moves are an obvious attempt
to deny schools and libraries the right to purchase normally priced or
discounted materials and then lend them out. The next step will be
that
we will have to purchase "public lending or performance rights" for
all
our materials. As librarians we must not let this trend go
unchallenged. ALA needs to research these occurrences and begin a
public information campaign designed to embarrass the companies who
are
doing this. Further, ALA needs to contact the appropriate members of
Congress to begin work on legislation to outlaw such practices if
needed. Libraries are already closing for lack of funds (Salinas, a
recent example), if we have to pay new, higher prices for the "right"
lend materials, we will be out of business. A first step for all of
us
should be to write to Discovery Channel to protest this move and
refuse
to buy their materials at the higher price. A second step is for those
of us who are members of ALA to ask them to look into this. And
finally, we should all be posting to the list and ALA any similar
examples as we find them.

Vicki Sherouse
Librarian
Sentinel High School
Missoula, MT
vsherouse at mcps.k12.mt.us
Notice: This e-mail may contain confidential information belonging to
the sender which is privileged. The information is intended only for
the use of the individual or entity named above. If you are not the
intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure,
copying, distribution or the taking of any action in reliance on the
contents of this information is strictly prohibited. If you have
received this transmission in error, delete it without copying it and
immediately notify the sender by reply e-mail. Thank you.
<<<< GWAVASIG >>>>

In the message write EITHER: 1) SIGNOFF LM_NET 2) SET LM_NET NOMAIL
3) SET LM_NET MAIL 4) SET LM_NET DIGEST * Allow for confirmation.

In the message write EITHER: 1) SIGNOFF LM_NET 2) SET LM_NET NOMAIL
3) SET LM_NET MAIL 4) SET LM_NET DIGEST * Allow for confirmation.

Paula Yohe
Director Of Technology/Library Media Center
Dillon School District Two
405 West Washington Street
Dillon, SC 29536
Phone: 843-841-3604 Fax:843-774-1214