I received two long emails containining tons of great quotes - Thank you
so much for taking the time to send these!

Sincerely,
Patricia Hamilton

HIT:
"Our libraries are community treasure chests, loaded with a wealth of
information available to everyone, equally. And the key to that treasure
chest is a library card."
- First Lady Laura Bush

"I knew at a very young age that reading for me was the ultimate source
of freedom. With knowledge, you have the potential to reach great
heights in every phase of life - from childhood to adulthood."
- Oprah Winfrey

"Books are one of the best things that happened to me."
- Johnny Depp

"My alma mater was books, a good library."
- Malcolm X

"Hibbidy, skibbidy, flibbidy poo..try to read some books with big words
too."
- Adam Sandler

"If you can read, you hold the secrets of the universe. Imagine."
- Kathy Bates

"Whatever the cost of our libraries, the price is cheap compared to that
of an ignorant nation."
- Walter Cronkite

I received quite a few responses regarding favorite quotes about reading
=
for 4th & 5th graders. Thanks to all who helped me out! Enjoy!

How about, "So many books, so little time!"

"'Tis the good reader that makes the good book." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Speaking personally, you can have my gun, but you'll take my book when
=
you
pry my cold, dead fingers off of the binding." Stephen King

V=EEta sine litter=EEs mors est.
(Life without literature is death).

It is one that General George Patton said...

If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking" Change
it =
to reading the same. If you think about it, he's right. If we all think
=
alike, then something is wrong..

"The person who DOES NOT read is no better off than the person who
CANNOT
read."

"A book is good company." Henry Ward Beecher

I have a few gathered together at: http://www.asla.nsw.edu.au/quotes.htm

Reading Quotes
http://www.richmond.k12.va.us/readamillion/readingquotes.htm

"Education is simply the soul of a society as it passes from=20
one generation to another."
- G. K. Chesterton

"The wise man reads both books and life itself."
- Lin Yu-t'ang

"Educating a child is like lighting a candle. The match=20
is struck and for a moment, the match and wick burn to-
gether. When the match is removed the candle glows alone." =20
- Source unknown.

"What greater gift can we offer the republic than to teach=20
and instruct our youth?"
- Cicero

Change your thoughts and you change your world."=20
- Norman Vincent Peale=20

""IF STUDENTS ARE TO BE THE 'WORKERS' THEY ABSOLUTELY REQUIRE ENDOWED
LIBRARIES AND THE TIME TO USE THEM." [Theodore Sizer]

"The children to whom we read simple stories may or may not=20
show gratitude, but each boon we give strengthens the pillars=20
of the world."=20
- Maya Angelou=20

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it is =
very
dark."
Groucho Marx

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture.
Just get people to stop reading them." -- Ray Bradbury

"Once you learn to read, you will be forever free" Frederick Douglass

" The man who does not read good books has no advantage
over the man who can't read them." It is attributed to Mark Twain.=20

"Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they=20
are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the=20
most patient of teachers."=20
- Charles W. Eliot

"The instruction we find in books is like fire. We fetch it=20
from our neighbours, kindle it at home, communicate it to oth-
ers, and it becomes the property of all."
- Francois Voltaire

"What is defeat? Nothing but education, nothing but the first step to
something better."
--Wendell Phillips

"Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities. Truth=20
isn't." - Mark Twain

"And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight=20
inside the bud was more painful than the risk it took to=20
bloom." =20
- Ana=EFs Nin

"Walls cannot embrace a library. It is more than a place, more than
books
and films and records, more even than the people who make it work.
Basically a library is a gathering of ideas, of information - put in
order
and shared. And, the sharing is the whole point of a library."
Comptons Encyclopedia, 1986

"It is not enough to have a good mind. The main thing is=20
to use it well." - Rene Descartes

"The only man who never makes a mistake is the man=20
who never does anything." - President Theodore Roosevelt

"In the nonstop tsunami of global information, librarians provide us
with
floaties and teach us how to swim." - Linton Weeks
(Washington Post article, 13 January 2001, p. C01)

"A LIBRARY IS...history's home and freedom's harbor, all the world's =
dreams
in one little room."---Michael Malone

"Wear the old coat and buy the new book." - Austin Phelps

"The teacher who is indeed wise does not bid you to=20
enter the house of his wisdom, but rather leads you to the=20
threshold of your mind." - Kahlil Gibran

"Inside me, there's a thin woman trying to get out. ---------
But, I can usually shut the bitch up with chocolate."

Dreams are necessary to life - Anais Nin

"My library was dukedom large enough." - William Shakespeare

This quotation is attributed to Walter Cronkite:
"Whatever the cost of our libraries, the price is cheap compared to that
=
of
an ignorant nation."

"Books are the carriers of civilization. Without books,=20
history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled,=20
thought and speculation at a standstill."
- Henry David Thoreau

In literature as in love, we are astonished at what is chosen by
others.--Andre
Maurois

Books invite all; they constrain none.--Inscription at the Los Angeles
Public
Library

"Whatever the cost of our libraries, the price is cheap compared to that
of an ignorant nation."
Walter Cronkite

Anything can happen when you open a book.

Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most
accessible and wisest counselors, and the most patient of teachers.
Charles W.
Eliot

Today a reader, tomorrow a leader. W. Fusselman

Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky.
My pile of books
Are a mile high.
How I love them!
How I need them!
I'll have a long beard
By the time I read them.
~ Arnold Lobel

The book to read is not the one which thinks for you,
but the one which makes you think.
~ Mccosh

"We don't need lists of rights and wrongs, tables of do's and don'ts: we
need
books, time, and silence." ~Philip Pullman

"he had allowed his daughters to use his library without
restraint and nothing is more fatal to maidenly delicacy
of speech than the run of a good library"
TEMPEST TOST Robertson Davies

"I thought I'd be a librarian until I met some crazy ones."
Edward Gorey
(Boston Globe article, 1998, as quoted in Salon)

Willow: Gee, maybe we should help Giles. He might be in danger.
Xander: Nah, he's like Super Librarian. People forget, Willow, that
knowledge is the ultimate weapon.
_Buffy the Vampire Slayer_

"The answers are there; you just have to know where to look." --
Dana Scully

Patricia Hamilton
Ritchie Elementary
New Baltimore, VA