I received two long emails containing tons of great quotes - Thank you
so much for taking the time to send these!  I had to seperate them into
a few HITS because there were so many!  :)

QUOTES

He who has a garden and a library, wants for nothing- Cicero

"When I get a little money, I buy books; And, if any is left, I buy food
and clothes." Erasmus

"Time spent reading, like time spent loving, increases our lifetime."
Daniel Pennac

"Some books are undeservedly forgotten, none are undeservedly
remembered. --

W.H. Auden

"Libraries are reservoirs of strength, grace and wit, reminders of
order, calm and continuity, lakes of mental energy, neither warm nor
cold, light nor dark..."- Germaine Greer

"--a friend once asked what I'd do if I had to choose between reading
and breathing. My answer: I'd hold my breath.." - Ashley Nissler

"We have too many high sounding words, and too few actions that
correspond with them." Abigail Adams

"When an old man dies, a library burns to the ground." - African Proverb

"Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to
read a book." (Anonymous)

"The library is the temple of learning, and learning has liberated more
people than all the wars in history." Carl Rowan

"I am a part of everything I have read." - John Kieran

"A book must be an ice ax to break the frozen sea within us." - Franz
Kafka

"There is no thief like a bad book." Italian Proverb

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's
too dark to read." Groucho Marx

"And what is the use of a book," thought Alice, "without pictures or
conversations?" --Lewis Caroll

"People say that life's the thing, but I prefer reading." --Logan P.
Smith

"No story ever really ends, and I think I know why." -- George MacDonald

"To be involved with books is to live at the heart of light." ~Mary
Cantwell

"It had been startling and disappointing to me to find out that story
books had been written by people, that books were not natural wonders,
coming of themselves like grass." --Eudora Welty

"A house without books is like a room without windows." --Horace Mann

"Life-transforming ideas have always come to me through books." --Bell H

"Some books are undeservedly forgotten, none are undeservedly
emembered." --W.H. Auden

"When I read a book, I put in all the imagination I can, so that it is

almost like writing the book as well as reading it - or rather, it is
like

living it. It makes reading so much more exciting, but I don't suppose
many people try to do it." - Dodie Smith, _I Capture the Castle

"When you sell a man a book you don't sell him just twelve ounces of
paper and ink and glue

- you sell him a whole new life." - Christopher Morley

"Good as it is to inherit a library, it is better to collect one." -
Birrell

"Reading is not a duty, and has consequently no business to be made
disagreeable." - Augustine Birrell

"There are books of which the backs and covers are by far the best
parts. (Charles Dickens)"

"Children learn about literature from what the adults around them do
about it." - Zahnleiter, 1985

"Readers are made by readers." - Aidan Chambers, 1991

"Books are the bees which carry the quickening pollen from one to
another mind." - James Russell Lowell

"There is something about that moment, when literature becomes
accessible, and a door of the world opens." - Lois Lowry

"A room without books is like a body without a soul." - Cicero

"A book's not worth a shit if it hasn't been banned in at least a couple
of places" - Richie Partington

"So many books, so little time."

"A man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who
can't read them."- Mark Twain

"Never judge a book by its movie" - J.W. Eagan

"Speaking personally, you can have my gun, but you'll take my book when
you pry my cold, dead fingers off of the binding." -- Stephen King

"You cannot write for children. They're much too complicated. You can
only write books that are of interest to them." - Maurice Sendak

"I believe that the only lastingly important form of writing is writing
for children. It is writing that is carried in the reader's heart for a
lifetime; it is writing that speaks to the future." - Sonya Hartnett

"The one who dies with the most books wins."

"I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set,
I go into the other room and read a book." - Groucho Marx

"No book is worth reading at the age of ten which is not equally and
often far more worth reading at the age of 50." - C.S. Lewis

"Don't touch it! That's MY book!" Roy D. Levine

"How many a man has dated a new era in his life from the reading of a
book" - Henry David Thoreau

The library is a quiet place.

Angels and gods huddled

In dark unopened books.

-- Charles Simic

"Most people don't realise how important librarians are. I ran across a
book recently which suggested that the peace and prosperity of a culture
was solely related to how many librarians it contained. Possibly a
slight overstatement, but a culture that doesn't value its librarians

doesn't value ideas and without ideas, wll, where are we ?" Lucien

the Librarian of the Library of Dream < <
<http://www.neilgaiman.com/comics/comics.asp>
http://www.neilgaiman.com/comics/comics.asp>

 <http://www.neilgaiman.com/comics/comics.asp>
http://www.neilgaiman.com/comics/comics.asp>

"Reading a really good book is like reading a part of the author's
heart." (Kevin Frederick - my 9 year old son, after reading the last of
the Indian in the Cupboard series)

The motto of all the mongoose family is, "Run and find out." -- The
Jungle Book (1894) 'Rikki-Tikki-Tavi'

When I was in graduate school, one of my professors referred to
Librarians as "the tribal elders of modern society." I quite agree. Dr.
Gregorian, who is now working for the Carnegie Corporation, spoke at the
Whte House Conference on School Libraries on June 4, 2002. Two quotes I
love from that speech are: "...reading and writing are not merely
cosmetic skills comparable to good manners. Literacy, reading and
writing are the essence of thinking." "School libraries constitute an
indispensable introduction to literacy and learning about the world and
the universe. They are pathways to self discovery. They are instruments
for progress and autonomy."

"Libraries keep the records on behalf of all humanity...the unique and
the absurd, the wise and [the] fagments of stupidity." -Vartan
Gregorian, former president, NY Public Library

"In the nonstop tsunami of global information, librarians provide u with
floaties and teach us how to swim."

Linton Weeks (Washington Post article, 13 January 2001, p. C01)

The imagination should be allowed a certain amount of time to browse
around." --Thomas Merton

Willa Cather: "There are only two or three human stories, and they go on
repeating themselves as fiercely as if they had never happened before."
(from O Pioneers!pt. II, Ch. 4)

"In a library we are surrounded by many hundreds of dear friends, but
they are imprisoned by an enchanter in these paper and leather boxes."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

"The library is a place where you can better your life. And the
librarian? Like an angel, wings pressed like white ferns under her
sweater. A being close to God." (Johnston, Tony. Any Small Goodness - a
Novel of the Barrio. New York: The Blue Sky Press, 2001)

Madam, a circulating library in a town is an evergreen tree of
diabolical knowledge! It blossoms through the year! And depend on it,
Mrs. Malaprop, that they who are so fond of handling the leaves, will
long for the fruit at

last. (from Richard Brinsley Sheridan's _The Rivals_)

"We don't need lists of rights and wrongs, tables of do's and don'ts: we
need books, time, and silence." ~Philip Pullman

"They thought the Library was a dangerous place because of all the
magical books, which was true enough, but what made it really one of the
most dangerous places there could ever be was the simple

fact that it was a library." ---Terry Pratchet

Sincerely,
Patricia Hamilton

Patricia Hamilton
Ritchie Elementary