To a historian libraries are food, shelter, and even muse.-Barbara
Tuchman

To make a library

It takes two volumes

And a fire.

Two volumes and a fire,

And interest.

The interest alone will do

If logs are few.--Carolyn Wells (The Rest of MY Life)

When an old man dies, a library burns down.--African Proverb

Without libraries what have we? We have no past and no future.--Ray
Bradbury (Mojave Magazine)

Your library is your portrait.--Holbrook Jackson (Maxims on Books and

Reading) < <http://www.quotelady.com/subjects/libraries.html>
http://www.quotelady.com/subjects/libraries.html>

 <http://www.quotelady.com/subjects/libraries.html>
http://www.quotelady.com/subjects/libraries.html

"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library."
--Jorge Luis Borges <
<http://pprsites.tripod.com/pprquotes/PPR-Quotes-Libraries.htm>
http://pprsites.tripod.com/pprquotes/PPR-Quotes-Libraries.htm>

 <http://pprsites.tripod.com/pprquotes/PPR-Quotes-Libraries.htm>
http://pprsites.tripod.com/pprquotes/PPR-Quotes-Libraries.htm

"To those with ears to hear, libraries are really very noisy places. On
their shelves we hear the captured voices of the centuries-old
conversation that makes up our civilization." -- Timothy Healy

"The best of my education has come from the public library . . . my
tuition

fee is a bus fare and once in a while, five cents for an overdue book.
You

don't need to know very much to start with, if you know the way to the
public library." -- Lesley Conger

"Everything you need for better future and success has already been
written.

And guess what? All you have to do is go to the library." -- Jim Rohn

"I always tell people that I became a writer not because I went to
school but because my mother took me to the library. I wanted to become
a writer so I could see my name in the card catalog." -- Sandra Cisneros

"When I was a child, I walked into the Birmingham, Ala., Public Library

--

and it seemed to me to be the most beautiful place in the world. It
opened my eyes to all the wonderful people and places that had been

-- Fannie Flagg

"The human mind is not capable of grasping the Universe. We are like a
little child entering a huge library. The walls are covered to the
ceiling with books in many different tongues. The child knows that
someone must have written these books. It does not know who or how. It
does not understand the languages in which they are written. But the
child notes a definite plan in the arrangement of the books; a
mysterious order it does not comprehend, but only dimly suspects." --
Albert Einstein

Libraries promote the sharing of knowledge, connecting people of all
ages with valuable information resources. These dynamic and modern
institutions, and the librarians who staff them, add immeasurably to our
quality of life. ~~President George W. Bush

Libraries are community treasure chests, loaded with a wealth of
information available to everyone equally, and the key to that treasure
chest is the library card. I have found the most valuable thing in my
wallet is my library card. ~~First Lady Laura Bush

Children know that if they have a question about the world, the library
is the place to find the answer. And someone will always be there to
help them find the answer-our librarians. (A librarian's) job is an
important one. Our nation runs on the fuel of information and
imagination that libraries provide. And they are in charge of collecting
and sharing this information in a helpful way. Librarians inform the
public, and by doing so, they strengthen our great democracy. ~~First
Lady Laura Bush

One of the greatest gifts my brother and I received from my mother was
her love of literature and language. With their boundless energy,
libraries open the door to these worlds and so many others. I urge young
and old alike to embrace all that libraries have

to offer. ~~Caroline Kennedy

My encouragement to you is to go tomorrow to the library. Poet Maya
Angelou, during a speech to a college audience that encouraged students
to read voraciously and never stop learning.

Those who declared librarians obsolete when the Internet rage first
appeared are now red-faced. We need them more than ever. The Internet is
full of 'stuff' but its value and readability is often questionable.
'Stuff' doesn't give you a competitive edge, high-quality related
information does. ~~Patricia Schroeder, Association of American
Publishers President

I used to go to the library all the time when I was kid. As a teenager,
I got a book on how to write jokes at the library, and that, in turn,
launched my comedy career. ~~Comedian Drew Carey. Carey appeared on Who
Wants to Be a Millionaire, where he announced that all of his winnings
would go to Ohio public libraries. Carey donated nearly $600,000 to the
Ohio Library Council.

I have a real soft spot in my heart for librarians and people who care
about books. ~~Ann Richards, former Governor of Texas

In hard times, libraries are more important than ever. Human beings need
what books give them better than any other medium. Since ancient nights
around prehistoric campfires, we have needed myth. And heroes. And moral
tales. And information about the world beyond the nearest mountains or
oceans. Today, with books and movies more expensive than ever, and
television entertainment in free fall to the lowest level of stupidity,
free circulating books are an absolute necessity. They are quite simply
another kind of food. We imagine, and the

we live. For those without money, the road to the treasure house of the

imagination begins at the public library. ~~Columnist Pete Hamill, New
York Daily News

My childhood library was small enough not to be intimidating. And yet I
felt the whole

world was contained in those two rooms. I could walk any aisle and smell
wisdom. U.S.

Poet Laureate Rita Dove

Libraries are places where we writers go after we die, if we're lucky.
We going to live

on through libraries. But there is also something more. In addition to
being a place that

we go after we die, if we are lucky, libraries are also the place where
a great many

writers are born. Joe Klein, author of Primary Colors and The Running
Mate

Being in the library is so addictive for me that I really have to
exercise self-control so I

can get some writing done at home. Janet Fitch, Author of White Oleander

The library ( in the migrant community) I grew up in was my only link to
the outside

world. Playwright and filmmaker Luis Valdez

When we build a public library, we don't have to pay to get in, but when
we build a

stadium, we have to pay the owner every time we go to a game. Minnesota
Governor

Jesse Ventura

It was a great place to write a novel about book burning, in the library
basement.

Author Ray Bradbury on the writing of his classic novel Farenheit 451
over 50 years

ago.

I would walk into the Carnegie Library and I would see the pictures of
Booker T. and

pictures of Frederick Douglass and I would read. I would go into the
Savannah Public

Libraries in the stacks and see all of the newspapers from all over the
country. Did I

dream that I would be on the Supreme Court? No. But I dreamt that there
was a world

out there that was worth pursuing. U.S. Supreme Court Justice Clarence
Thomas

The public library is more than a repository of books. It's a
mysterious, wonderous

place with the power to change lives. Chicago Tribune literary editor
Elizabeth

Taylor

Many librarians perform their duties with a profound sense of

responsibility: supporting

the foundations of democracy by ensuring free access to information. New
York Times

reporter John Schwartz

Libraries are my passion in life. Before I became mayor (of Los
Angeles), I used to

sneak out here during lunch time...and I'd go to a corner and take a
book--any book

almost--and read it for a while, and then feel rejuvenated. Richard
Riordan

But despite the meek, shush-shushing stereotype, librarians are largely

freedom-upholding, risk-taking group. In the name of the First Amendment
and

anti-censorship, they have championed the causes of provocative writers
and spoken out

against banned and challenged books. Writer Linton Weeks, Washington
Post

It's an essential fight librarians are making, an age-old fight; yours
is a battle for

civilization. It's a fight for our country's founding values. Radio
talk-show host Jim

Hightower

Books and reading saved a very lonely childhood. At the library I found
people who took

interest in me. From books, I learned about people and compassion. Nancy
Slonim

Aronie, Author of Writing from the Heart

"You must live feverishly in a library. Colleges are not going to do any
good unless you

are raised and live in a library every day of your life. Author Ray
Bradbury

Librarians. I give them all the credit in the book. The Mormon Family
Library...was so

generous and so kind to me. They are amazing... I would call them and
say, 'Would you

look up in the 1840 census the Henry family around Milton, Virginia?'
And...they

would... Librarians at Hunter College, the University of North Carolina
library, and the

Library of Congress as well. Harvard Professor Henry Louis Gates Jr.,
who edited a

manuscript he purchased entitled, The Bondswoman's Narrative by Hannah
Crafts, the

first known novel written by an African-American woman who had been a
slave.

As a child I was a very shy little blonde kid that didn't speak at all
to anybody...And what

was wonderful about the library was that you didn't have to say a word.
So it was my

oasis. And you didn't have to ask for things in full sentences. You
could just point to a

shelf and say, '18th century dolls,' and the librarians would lead you
there. It was

amazing. I felt like a queen. Adrienne Yorinks, award-winning
illustrator and

quilter.

I find that when I come out of the library I'm in what I call the
library bliss of being

totally taken away from the distractions of life. Tracy Chevalier,
Author of Girl with a

Pearl Earring

My very identities as a reader and a writer began at the Walt Whitman
branch library.

Paula Spencer, Woman's Day Contributing Editor

I fell in love with libraries when I first walked into the school
library in Falls City, Texas,

population 462. It was tiny and I quickly read through almost
everything, but it was a

lifeline for a child starved for a larger world. In many ways I owe
great chunks of the

life I lead to libraries. Jane Chesnutt, Editor-in-Chief, Woman's Day
Magazine

I liked reading and working out my ideas in the midst of that endless
crowd walking in

and out of the (library) looking for something. I, too, was seeking fame
and fortune by

sitting at the end of a long golden table next to the sets of American
authors on the open

shelves. Author Alfred Kazin

Patricia Hamilton
Ritchie Elementary