I have relied on the library to provide the research materials for five
books and

uncountable magazine articles. But what has always impressed me most
forcefully is the

institution's connection to the everyday life of New Yorkers, from
giggling teenagers to

the very old...From its beginnings, this (library) building has served
both as an instigator

and a mirror of social change. The Library is one of the last bastions
of respect for those

who try to carry on...independent scholarship...As a writer, I can never
get over the

sense of being absolutely lucky to be able to get my hands

(literally) on so many

books.Writer Susan Jacoby

Going to the library builds a kid's imagination. Books help them
discover themselves and

the world. Baltimore Oriole All-Star shortstop Mike Bordick

Teenagers can discover the pleasures of reading and gain the power of
knowledge by

going to libraries. With that power, they will be invincible. NASCAR
driver Ward

Burton, winner of the Daytona 500.

There is not such a cradle of democracy upon the earth as the Free
Public Library, this

republic of letters, where neither rank, office, nor wealth receives the
slightest

consideration. Andrew Carnegie

We must not think of learning as only what happens in schools. It is an
extended part of

life. The most readily available resource for all of life is our public
library system.

Author David McCullough

What is more important in a library than anything else-than everything
else-is the fact

that it exists. Poet Archibald MacLeish

Getting my library card was like citizenship; it was like American
citizenship. Oprah

Winfrey

"When I was a kid and the other kids were home watching "Leave it to
Beaver," my

father and step-mother were marching me off to the library." Oprah
Winfrey

What in the world would we do without our libraries? Katharine Hepburn

The richest person in the world - in fact. All the riches in the world -
couldn't provide

you with anything like the endless, incredible loot available at your
local library. You can

measure the awareness, the breadth and the wisdom of a civilization, a
nation, a people

by the priority given to preserving these repositories of all that we
are, all that we were,

or will be. Publisher Malcolm Forbes

When you are growing up, there are two institutional places that affect
you most

powerfully-the church, which belongs to God, and the public library,
which belongs to

you. The public library is a great equalizer. Musician Keith Richards

What libraries give you is all three tenses -- the past tense -- the
present tense in which

we live and the future that we can only imagine. These places have
teachers who are

living and dead and we are lucky to have them. If I sit here and read
Artistole, he is

speaking to me across a thousand years -- more than a thousand years.
That sense that I

am in the company of the great greatest people who ever lived is a
humbling experience

but a liberating experience. Columnist Pete Hamill, New York Daily News

A library is the delivery room for the birth of ideas, a place where
history comes to life.

Author Norman Cousins

The part of my education that has had the deepest influence wasn't any
particular essay

or even a specific class, it was how I was able to apply everything I
learned in the

library to certain situations in my life. . . The library takes me away
from my everyday

life and allows me to see other places and learn to understand other
people unlike myself.

Musician Gloria Estefan

As a child, I loved to read books. The library was a window to the
world, a pathway to

worlds and people far from my neighborhood in Philadelphia. And even
today, as I travel

around the world, I often visit places I used to dream about because of
the books I'd

read. The library made a difference in my life.

Broadcaster Ed Bradley

The free access to information is not a privilege, but a necessity for
any free society.

One of my favorite things to do as a young man was wander through the
stacks of my

hometown library. I'd just browse until I found something interesting.
Libraries have

definitely changed my life. Actor Edward Asner

When I was young, we couldn't afford much. But, my library card was my
key to the

world. Actor John Goodman

We all love to hear a good story. We save our stories in books. We save
our books in

libraries. Libraries are the storyhouses full of all those stories and
secrets. Actor Kathy

Bates

I am here because libraries and museums are singular and important
institutions with

unique contributions to make to our nation. But more importantly, I am
here as an

advocate for children and families, for healthy communities, for
economic development,

for scholars and researchers, for individuals who seek educational and
informational

resources throughout their lives. U.S. Institute of Museum and Library
Services

Director Robert Martin

The day I discovered that one could go to the public library and take
out books was one

of the happiest of my life. Columnist Liz Smith

There are ways to recover one's perspective. You can wait for one of
those periodic

crisis that summon the best of the decent men and women who toil at
virtually every

level of government. Or you can go to your local public library, where
the democratic

ideals of liberty, equality, and free inquiry are still burnished by
daily use. Columnist

Brian Dickerson, Detroit Free Press

I really didn't realize the librarians were, you know, such a dangerous
group. They are

subversive. You think they're just sitting there at the desk, all quiet
and everything.

They're like plotting the revolution, man. I wouldn't mess with them.
You know, they've

had their budgets cut. They're paid nothing. Books are falling apart.
The libraries are just

like the ass end of everything, right? Filmmaker and author Michael
Moore

I think the New York Public Library is so, so amazing. It's literally
the coolest place -

It's good shelter from the sun and it's the most beautiful building.
It's really, really

fun.Actress Natalie Portman

Whatever the cost of our libraries, the price is cheap compared to that
of an ignorant

nation.

Broadcaster Walter Cronkite

As a child, my number one best friend was the librarian in my grade
school. I actually

believed all those books belonged to her.Author Erma Bombeck

Public libraries have been a mainstay of my life. They represent an
individual's right to

acquire knowledge; they are the sinews that bind civilized societies the
world over.

Without libraries, I would be a pauper, intellectually and spiritually.
Author James A.

Michener

When I was a child in the Navy during World War II, I was perennially
grateful to the

armed services libraries for having on hand a good supply of those
pocket-books, which

were so common in that period. I must have read a couple hundred of
them, and theydid

a lot to save my sanity." Author James A. Michener

Librarians have always been among the most thoughtful and helpful
people. They are

teachers without a classroom. No libraries, no progress.

Broadcaster Willard Scott

Libraries store the energy that fuels the imagination. They open up
windows to the world

and inspire us to explore and achieve, and contribute to improving our
quality of life.

Libraries change lives for the better. Author Sidney Sheldon

The library is not only a diary of the human race, but marks an act of
faith in the

continuity of humanity. President, Carnegie Corporation Vartan Gregorian

The library is our house of intellect, our transcendental university,
with one exception:

no one graduates from a library. No one possibly can, and no one should.
President,

Carnegie Corporation Vartan Gregorian

We are not mere gatekeepers and doorkeepers of humanity's heritage. We
also must

protect its dissemination. We must beware of all censorship in whatever
form it comes,

because to censor, to tamper with truth, to tamper with our memory, is
to commit a

historical sin. We, as librarians, have a major duty that we must all
share all over the

world, in order not to allow anybody to control, to twist, and most
important of all, to

manipulate our human will and through it our free institutions.
President, Carnegie

Corporation Vartan Gregorian

The library is central to our free society. It is a critical element in
the free exchange of

information at the heart of our democracy. President, Carnegie
Corporation Vartan

Gregorian

Access to knowledge is the superb, the supreme act of truly great
civilizations. Of all the

institutions that purport to do this, free libraries stand virtually
alone in accomplishing

this mission. No committee decides who may enter, no crisis of body or
spirit must

accompany the entrant. No tuition is charged, no oath sworn, no visa
demanded. Of the

monuments humans build for themselves, very few say "touch me, use me,
my hush is

not indifference, my space is not barrier. If I inspire awe, it is
because I am in awe of

you and the possibilities that dwell in you. Author Toni Morrison

I'm of a fearsome mind to throw my arms around every living librarian
who crosses my

path, on behalf of the souls they never knew they saved.

Author Barbara Kingsolver

Here was one place where I could find out who I was and what I was going
to become.

And that was the public library.

Author Jerzy Kosinski

When I got my library card, that's when my life began. Author Rita Mae
Brown

A library book...is not, then, an article of mere consumption, but
fairly of capital, and

often in the case of professional men, setting out in life, is their
only capital. Thomas

Jefferson

Censorship, like charity, should begin at home; but unlike charity, it
should end there.

Clare Booth Luce

Throughout my formal education I spent many, many hours in public and
school

libraries. Libraries became courts of last resort, as it were. The
current definitive answer

to almost any question can be found within the four walls of most
libraries.

Tennis Champion- Human Rights Activist Arthur Ashe

"Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves, or we know
where we can find information upon it." ~~Samuel Johnson

Library

Here is where people

One frequently finds

Lower their voices

And raise their mind

~~Richard Armour 05/02

I have just spent some wonderful time on the IFLA website reading a
fabulous collection of quotes about libraries. If you have some down
time, hop over! < <http://www.ifla.org/I/humour/author.htm>
http://www.ifla.org/I/humour/author.htm>

 <http://www.ifla.org/I/humour/author.htm>
http://www.ifla.org/I/humour/author.htm

"Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most
accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers."

- Charles W. Eliot

"Until I feared I would lose it, I never loved to read. One does not
love breathing." To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you
to stretch your own.--Charles Scribner, Jr.

"A book is like a garden carried in your pocket." Chinese Proverb

"The Librarian, whose job is to heal ignorance, to keep life safe for
poetry and to put knowledge smack dab in the middle of the American
way." From The Philadelphia Inquirer, 9-20-03

"A book not opened is but a block of paper." Chinese saying

To learn to read is basic, To LOVE to read is the plus!

"Show me a computer expert that gives a damn, and I'll show you a
librarian." Patricia Wilson Berger

"My guess is about 300 years until computers are as good as, say, your
local reference library in doing [re]search," says [Google's director of
technology] Craig Silverstein [on the CBS News Sunday Morning on March
28, 2004]. "But we can make slow and steady progress, and maybe one day
we'll get there."

Knowledge is free at the library. Just bring your own container. -
Unknown

"I really didn't realize the librarians were, you know, such a dangerous
group. They are subversive. You think they're just sitting there at the
desk, all quiet and everything. They're like plotting the revolution,
man. I wouldn't mess with them." Michael Moore

Until I feared I would lose it, I never loved to read. One does not love
breathing. --Harper Lee 12-12-04

It is what you read when you don't have to that determines what you will
be when you can't help it. - Oscar Wilde 12-15-04

Willow: Gee, maybe we should help Giles. He might be in danger.

Xander: Nah, he's like Super Librarian. People forget, Willow, that
knowledge is the ultimate weapon. --Buffy the Vampire Slayer

"The Librarian, whose job is to heal ignorance, to keep life safe for
poetry and to put knowledge smack dab in the middle of the American
way." From The Philadelphia Inquirer, 9-20-03

Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you
to stretch your own.--Charles Scribner, Jr. 12-20-04

Patricia Hamilton
Ritchie Elementary
New Baltimore, VA
phamilton@fcps1.org