Thanks one and all for your comments and help.

The type of security system may depend on what type of security  stripes
you already have in your books.  Are your stripes  magnetic?  If so, I
like 3M.  There service has been  outstanding.

Are you an AASL member?  If so you can apply for a 3M grant and  maybe
get a free system.  Good Luck.

Do you know about 3M Salute to Schools?  I got a security system last year
and it saved our school  about $15,000.  The application is due March 1st--so
you have  time to apply.

_http://www.ala.org/ala/aasl/aaslawards/3msalute/3msaluteschools.htm_ (http://
mail.fpsct.org/horde/util/go.php?url=http://www.ala.org/ala/aasl/aaslawards/3m
salute/3msaluteschools.htm&Horde=481ccb567c0ce741c9a49009e054ae35)

We have one from 3M at our middle school. It is 3 years old. Last  spring
one side went out and the repair bill was over $1,000 because we had  not
purchased the extended warranty. But, the extended warranty was so  high,
we just couldn't. This year the other side has gone out and we  just
cannot afford to repair it at this time. Our solution has been to  use
one side as the 'in' side and the other door for 'out.'

3M is  normally a great system, but in this case, we are looking at other
systems to  replace the 3M at our high school. We can't afford to be in
the same boat  that the middle school is in. (We got the middle school
system through a  grant from 3M.)

We have the 3M system, have had no trouble with it, & lose fewer  books.
Nothing is foolproof, but we've caught several books being  forgotten about &
others being "borrowed" without checkout.  It's a  deterrent to the casual
walk-out.  I would recommend  it.