"Well-stocked and well-staffed school library media programs are
strategically poised to support the major action steps
 and recommendations identified in the plan."

That was the first sentence in the AASL report that made me stop reading and
say, "WHAT?" aloud.  (Had I missed something in the ISTE report?  Weren't we
ignored in that report...along with students with disabilities who might
need to have some plan in place for future access to information through
technological advances----but that's another digital divide that remains
open.)  Am I SO far behind the rest of the nation that I am not ready to
move forward as AASL states?

My library is definitely not well-stocked and not well-staffed....
...as far as being "strategically poised to support the major action steps
recommended...."   unless those steps involve tossing someone the keys to
the door and watching as they eliminate the library program altogether
because technology has surpassed print in the eyes of those who adore it,
then perhaps we are "poised" to be destroyed (and I can't imagine how
libraries and librarians are surviving on life-support in California with
the cuts that have been made there!)

I agree.  I am angry with the AASL statement that basically lies (to
teachers, administrators, parents, librarians, and students) by stating that
"we" are ready to move forward with the ISTE plan!  WAIT!  Stop this train!
We are NOT ready!  We need as much funding in our programs as the technology
departments receive and we need multiple staff members to help us as we
coordinate library programs, provide direct services for students, and team
collaborative efforts with our teachers!  We need books!  We need people!
We need money!  We need help!

I feel like I'm telling someone I'm ready to go to war....and I have a
pocket knife (with one blade) in my back pocket....if that hole hasn't
gotten larger since the last time I checked!

We are not ready!  (Is anyone listening??)

~Shonda Brisco
Trinity Valley MS / US Librarian
Fort Worth, TX
sbrisco021@charter.net