I echo Sara's comments regarding AASL's stance on the ed tech plan.  It is
very true that well-staffed and well-stocked school libraries are
strategically placed to implement the plan.  Unsaid, but the seed planted,
is that not-so-well-staffed and no-so-well-stocked school library are
not-so-strategically placed.   I believe I remember reading that back in
the 1960's, the first ESEA legislation never mentioned libraries.  It
planned to pour money into instructional materials in schools, but the
words school library weren't mentioned.  Fortunately, a strong group of
school librarians said, "we'll take over, thank you very much", and school
libraries were essentially born (or reborn, I suppose).   They could have
sent a strong statement complaining that they weren't included, but there
was so much more to gain by assuming that they were included...just not
specifically mentioned by name.

I see the new ed tech plan the same way.  I see school libraries and
librarians described at every turn.  My real concern is with the
Secretary's assumption that every person under 18 is a skilled computer
user born with an umbilical cord mouse tied to a silver laptop (rather than
a spoon).  Not true, and we know it.  I would like to see our angle as
equity, that schools can create a playing field (never be level, but at
least we can lay the astroturf and paint the lines) for those students and
teachers outside of the pearly gates...but only if technology is funded.
School libraries and librarians are ready to go, and are doing great things
with not much support in some cases.  With this plan we may get more
impetus.

Gail K. Dickinson, PhD
School Library Media Program
249-6 Dept of Educational Curriculum and Instruction
Darden College of Education
Old Dominion University
gdickins@odu.edu
757-683-6683