 Hello everyone,

                I have two general questions.  First, I am helping a
teacher to introduce Black History Month to her classroom.  Can anyone
tell me things you have done to prompt interest for students, or include
in an introductory unit (African American biographies) to excite student
interest?  I have a
great deal of print and online resources with which to educate, but
additional online resources could perhaps be used as a suggestions.
Also, any famous passages/book tie ins to get attention from students
could be useful.  The age level I have in mind is middle school/6th grade.
               Also, as a separate topic, is anyone on the list familiar
with research on testing, in regard to familiar classroom environments?
In other words, if children are given the FCAT, or some other high stakes
test in a room they do not normally use, and with a teacher they are
unfamiliar with, is anyone aware of any evidence that this could
adversely effect their scores (and research which relates to this)?  Or
if you are unaware of any research, any of your own experiences relating
to this.

                Best wishes,

                 Michael Furlong
                 FSU Intern, Tallahassee, FL