There are a couple recent articles which cover this subject much better
than I can. :)

        <http://freshmeat.net/articles/view/152/>

        <http://freshmeat.net/articles/view/533/>

I know that one commercial vendor, Sun Microsystems, has put quite a bit
of effort into producing lesson plans, tutorials and other materials
aimed at making their StarOffice product more education-friendly.

StarOffice is the commercial version of OpenOffice.org... however it's
available free of charge to schools so it's probably a better choice for
schools than the OpenOffice.org product I mentioned in the previous
post. You can read more about Sun's StarOffice offerings for education
on their web site:
<http://www.sun.com/products-n-solutions/edu/solutions/staroffice.html>.

I'd be curious to hear the reactions of those educators who had to
counter the same arguments when they chose Macintosh over Windows.

...brig

--
Brig C. McCoy
Head, Systems Office