Lots of people sent me answers to my original question but I realized that I wasn't
clear enough.  So here is my second attempt.  Quite a number of the English
teachers in my school assign a generalized fiction assignment - chose an author,
read 2 or 3 of their works, and do some kind of assignment related to it (varies
depending on the teacher).  My reading around getting boys to read books suggests
that nonfiction is much more successful than getting boys interested in novels.
Thus, I would like to suggest a similar type of assignment for nonfiction to the
English department, but I would like to approach them with something more concrete
than, "hey, lets get them to read nonfiction!".  So, has anyone done a nonfiction
unit in which the book is not specified?  I will post a hit.

Diane Gallagher-Hayashi
Teacher Librarian
Stelly's School
School District 63 (Saanich)