The discussion over Library Bindings vs. other bindings definitely seems to
be divided along grade level lines. My observation in looking at signatures
(I'm so glad we do that!) is that middle school and high school libraries
(no matter where they are) go with paperback while we elementary people have
to buy those library bindings.

I had an intern last year who had to get circulation stats from my
elementary school and also from the local high school. I circulated about
30,000 books last school year while the high school circulated about 5000.
Big difference! Some of my picture books and easy readers will circulate 2
or 3 times in one day!

Another observation. While the high school kids prefer paperback, my
elementary kids will take the hardback over the paperback 99% of the time.
On more than one occasion, I have had the hardback and the paperback both
available for checkout, and the student will take the hardback every time.

Another reason I prefer library bindings.... Maybe I'm just too cheap, but I
will not throw away a book until it is beyond repair. Hardbacks that are not
library binding require too much of my time trying to glue, tape, staple
them back together! I have too many other things to do! (Like put those
30,000 books back on the shelf!)

Nancy Dickinson, Librarian
Hillsboro Elem. School
Hillsboro, TN 37342