I had a couple of requests for a hit, so here it is, with individual contact
info removed.  Many people requested Sideways Stories from Wayside School, by
Sachar, so I might try that.  Thanks to everyone who responded.

Original target:
I am planning to read aloud to groups of third and fourth graders during the
fifteen-minutes before their checkout time (30 minute class period) next week.
I would appreciate any suggestions for books appropriate for this age level
that could be read in fifteen minutes or less. I hate to put this kind of
restriction on the activity, but I am student teaching and do not determine
the scheduling of classes. Some of the topics that are popular with this
group include horses, mermaids, myths and legends in general, anything funny,
and anything scary. I have a few titles in mind, but am interested in what
you all would suggest. Thanks in advance.

HIT:

I have read Sideways Stories by Louis Sachar to my 3rd graders this year &
they love it.  My 4th graders haven't really decided on a book they like to
have read aloud, but Lemony Snicket's books would be great (I read that to
5th).  Good luck.

******

I posted a similar question last week (and need to post my hit!) How about
“Sideways Stories from Wayside School” by Louis Sachar? Also, poetry can work
well as a filler and there are plenty of funny poems. Check out the poetry
book, “A Pizza the Size of the Sun” by Jack Prelutsky.

******

Under the "funny" category ...
I would highly recommend Frindle by Andrew Clements.
Good luck!

******

Hi. Try reading the third chapter of All about Sam (Lowry)--about the water
cycle. It might "sell" the Lowry series about Anastasia and her brother, Sam.

******

Judy Freeman has two books which will help you select great read-alouds. They
are Books Kids will Sit Still For and More Books Kids Will Sit Still For.

******

Sukey and the Mermaid by Robert San Souci
King Midas by John Warren Stewig
Individual chapters of Soup and Me by Robert Newton Peck, I like the
one about school letting out early and the one about the turkey best,
they read like short stories, VERY funny, these might take 2 classes to
read

******

I would suggest the book Hey Listen to This by Jim Trelease which has
read-aloud selections. Also, for picture books, most of William Steig's books
are long and have sophisticated vocabulary. The kids enjoy them.

******

I don't have any titles to suggest that can be read in 15 minutes or less, but
I would like to suggest books such as the Wayside School series.  I read 3
chapters aloud to my 6th graders and it takes about 15 minutes.  Then we
follow up with the online quiz from:
http://www.mce.k12tn.net/reading42/wayside_school.htm

******

Try Jim Trelease's, Hey Kids, Listen to this (excerpts from novels)
Cook a doodle doo, Janet Stevens

******

For third grade, Encylcopedia Brown is a hit. They love trying to
guess the solution and can be read in 15 minute segments.

******

Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark - Schwartz
Chicken Soup for a Kid's Soul
Kidspeak

I would also read some shorter novels, and just read a chapter or two a
week.

******

I personally like using the Wayside books (Sideways Stories from Wayside
School, Wayside School is Falling Down, etc.) when I only have a few
minutes. Each chapter is about a different student in the class so you
don't have to worry about reading the whole book.

******

Try reading a chapter from Sachar's "Wayside School."  Kids love this book.

******

There are several books by James Herriott that are true stories about his
adventures being a vet in 1950's Scotland. Also, the nonfiction series Pets to
the Rescue always intrigue the kids and then they want to check them out.
Another nonfiction winner about animals is Peg Kehret's book about dogs
adopted from a shetler called Shelter Dogs (I can't read it aloud because I
cry!)

Also, 3 little wolves and the big bad pig
Saving Sweetness
the beginning chapter for Sideways Stories from Wayside School is really funny
and stands alone well.

Sometimes with 3rd graders I will read the first chapter of a Zack Files book
by Dan Greenburg. They usually want to get it or another of the series when I
do that.

******

There are many good stories in the anthology Land of the Lawn Weenies (David
Lubar)

******

Any books written in verse form (except Graeme Base) should be short enough to
be read in 15 minutes. You might try Double Trouble in Walla Walla for its
great literary appeal.

******

How about a chapter from any of the "Wayside School" books. You can start
anywhere, and doesn't really matter if you get back to it or even finish it.

Amy Self
School of Information Sciences
University of Tennessee--Knoxville
aself@utk.edu