I tried to go to the site recommended by Paula but it says the article can
not be accessed anymore....guess  the time has lapsed.

My 2 cents  --

 we are never going to solve this issue - as it involves theological
differences and lots of emotion. I, personally, read most religious novels
from various traditions so, as I said, I have read the entire series and
enjoyed them. As to the question of their literary value I could point to
many titles, especially YA, where the literature value is nil. I found them,
for the most part, exciting reads. Yes, the characterization  varies from
flat to round but the books are plot driven - not character driven.

I am blessed not to be in a Roman Catholic Diocesan school (We are a
Christian Brothers school). I am so glad that no one has told me what titles
to include or not include in the collection but have left it to my
expertise.

Although I promote tolerance (naturally) I don't see the Left Behind series
as intolerant. Yes, it does have a plot which stresses that any one  not
"born again" will be part of the Rapture - that's ok, I can live with that.
Many do not believe in the Communion of Saints - and that is OK, too. I
believe in it. That is what makes libraries so exciting --- something to
offend and/or please everyone.

Allan

Dr. Allan O'Grady Cuseo (Brother Donogh Allan, MGC)
Bishop Kearney High School Library
125 Kings Highway South
Rochester, New York 14617

585-342 - 4000 x231
585-342 - 4694  (FAX)

acuseo@bkhs.org

Education in the tradition of the Christian Brothers and the School Sisters
of Notre Dame
FAC OMNIA BENE (Do all things well)

PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION: The information contained in this
electronic transmission, and any documents attached hereto, may contain
confidential information that is legally privileged and confidential. The
information is intended only for the use of the recipients (s) named above.
If you have received this electronic message in error, please notify the
sender and delete the electronic message. Any disclosure, copying,
distribution or the taking of any action in reliance on the contents of the
information received in error is strictly prohibited.