Dear LM-Netters,

I was asked by several people to post a "hit" for the reason why
legends/folktales are in 398.2

Thank you to all who responded.  I learned a lot about 398.2 today.  Someone
also sent info on the differences between all the tales and another sent
lesson plans. (posted at the very end.) Again, thank you to all.

Heidi Ginal, LMS
Heim El Library, K-4

155 Heim Rd.

Williamsville, NY

Because the original stories were passed on by word of mouth and tells of a
culture rather than written as a story in print with only one version.

I believe it is because they are "world stories" or "cultural stories".

I explain that folktales are tales that do not have a singular author.  they
arose from oral tellings, parents to child etc. they reflect and are stories
from and reflect the community.  Therefore they are in the dewey number that
incorporates community.

They reflect the beliefs and ideas of the society and time from which that
story originated.

Example--Native American Indian Legends belong in the 300's.

Hope this helps.

There was a great discussion on this earlier in the year and I too

needed to answer that question.  The concensus seemed to be explaining

that the literature in 398.2 is an example of world cutures....that the

fairy tales and folk tales in the early reader sections were just

stories to the younger kids but the older kids could learn about culture

and heritage from reading them.  It was something along that line and it

worked for me.  Hope that helps.

Hi,

The 300's deal with people living together in groups.  Each group has its
own set of stories and these are cataloged as folk literature.

You could also say that if a book could be cataloged in two places, put it
in the first location in the Dewey volume.

I wasn't asked this until after I had done the unit on comparing various
tales from around the world.  So I was able to tell them how reading the
stories helped us learn a little about the culture of those countries.

(And culture is part of social science, blah, blah, blah.)  This worked for
most of them.  For the doubters who still questioned, I showed them my Dewey
book and said that I had to trust Mr. Dewey and do it his way since he
invented the system.  That seemed to please the rest of the kiddos!

Just in case you didn't already receive 100 answers: because they are
cultural stories and the 300's are the social sciences which include the
cultures of the world.

FOLKTALE

> Folktale is the comprehensive term.  A folktale is a

> story handed down by word of mouth from the common

> people.  All the following are folktales: fairy,

> legend, myth, fable, tall tale, pourquoi tale,

> trickster tale.  .....

> a folk tale is defined as "all forms of narrative,

> written or oral which have come to be handed down over

> the years".

> Myths, legends, fairy tales, tall tales and fables are

> all forms of folklore which means they originated as

> oral.

> FAIRY TALE

> ....is a folktale that includes a magical element or a

> fantastic creature, such as a troll, unicorn or ogre,

> or animals that live..... in houses and talk English.

> (eg Three Bears)........

> Fairy tales involve an element of magic and usually

> show both ends of the spectrum: rich/poor, good/evil,

> reward/punishment with a fairly standard set of

> characters.  They have certain elements such as

> royalty, magic, things happening in 3 times, spells

> and curses that transform people and animals, and

> enchanted places where all things are possible with a

> happening ending for the good guy.

> There is also a group of fairy tales referred to as

> literary fairy tales because they were made up of know

> authors (eg Hans Christian Anderson)......and...all

> the spoofs and parodies on fairytales (eg Cinder Edna)

> are not folktales.

> LEGEND

> legends involve real events, people, or places.....

> ....is a folktale that tells of an incident about a

> person who lived or might have lived a long time

> ago....(eg King Arthur)

> Legends usually have some basis in fact.  They often

> tell of the adventures of a hero....an actual person

> or incident that has grown with the storytelling to

> have a larger than life quality.....

> MYTH

> Myths are folktales that generally have religious

> overtones, either involving gods or heroes that often

> teach about life, or explain the origins of life or

> customs......

> A myth is a story that would have been considered

> religious fact when people still believed

> them.....They are stories meant to explain the

> creation of the world and nature and often giving a

> scientific basis for certain human failings or

> explanation of natural events not understood

> scientifically.

> Myths are usually associated with the religion of the

> culture......

> myths are stories connected with religion....

> FABLES

> ...are brief, didactic tales in which animals, or

> occasionally the elements, speak as human beings.

> Often just for entertainment or to teach a moral

> lesson.

> TALL TALES

> .....characterized by exaggeration and are mainly and

> American addition to folktales.  They include a larger

> than life hero and exaggerated details.  In other

> [...]

  LESSON PLAN ON MYTHS, FOLKTALES, AND LEGENDS:
http://web.infoave.net/~tnorris/lesson.htm

This might be a suitable lesson plan for your needs.
Using various types of literature to exemplify myth-
ology, folktales, and legends (many of which have on-
line text resources), students will listen to the oral
readings, looking for similarities and differences be-
tween the different genres. They can create and dic-
tate their own favorite version of a story, and if
they are able, illustrate it with drawings or a collage--
or simply paint a picture with oral words. Students
often find it enriching simply to embellish or update
an old tale--change the setting; give it a modern day
hero--but try to keep within the guidelines of the
genre. Geared to grade 8 and up.

MYTHS--CLASSROOM ACTIVITIES:
http://www.qesn.meq.gouv.qc.ca/folklore/activity/mythact4.html

Don't let the "Levels 4-6" subtitle of this link deter
you. Almost every activity listed here (and there are many)
can also be applied to higher grade classrooms. Many of the
entries are wonderfully imaginative and and well worth adap-
ting.

Also see "Even the Gods Have Bad Hair Days" under
Lesson Plans, below. Give your students a provocative
and related topic for debate, and have them role-play
various gods, acting in context, to debate the issue
at hand.