Netters:

In the current discussion about covering paperbacks, I'm surprised no one has
mentioned using a binding stapler on new ones to lengthen their circulation.
Binding staples can be purchased in a variety of sizes, and a series of 3 to 5
staples along the spine before covering will insure the pages don't come out. You
can get binding staplers for under $200 that will bind most paperbacks (Harry
Potter is probably way too thick, but most other titles).

They are also great on repairing older paperbacks. The only problem I've
encountered is that they seem to have a propensity for jamming. You have to really
press down firmly with a smooth stroke, in a standing position. For whatever
reason, I usually can't get the leverage just right if I sit.

Important to remember:
Check the inside margin before stapling to insure there's enough room for the
staples without eliminating the beginning/ending of the words near the centerfold
area. Practice on old books first. Sort books into piles by width so you change the
staple size as infrequently as possible.

Be sure to order a variety of staple sizes and that the staples will work with your
brand (avoid substituting cheaper ones as this may cause jamming problems). Set the
gauge to staple at the correct depth at the spine (obviously I'm talking about
parallel to the spine) and start stapling at the middle of the spine, then staple
at the top and then the bottom spine edge. If it is taller than 9" you may wish to
use five staples along the spine instead of three.

If you delegate this task to another adult, be sure to supervise them as not all
workers use sufficient care and these staplers need correct and careful usage. For
this reason, I made it a policy not to loan out the stapler - teachers had to use
it in my presence.

Lastly, if you are buying a new stapler, look over the warranty carefully before
purchasing, you may need it!

Joanne Ladewig, Library Media Technician (a.k.a. "Library Lady")
Lawrence Elementary School, GGUSD
Garden Grove, CA USA
shatz@verizon.net

---Comments are my own and may not reflect the views of GGUSD.