More comments about both programs.

Ada G. Kent, Librarian

Ohio School for the Deaf

agkent@columbus.rr.com

I've used both programs. Frontpage is more for the novice user; it's easier
to get up and running. But, if you stick with it and you become somewhat of
an expert with it, you'll find certain things about it that are frustrating
- it's not very flexible. Dreamweaver is a more professional program
(professional webpage designers use Dreamweaver and would probably not tell
their colleagues that they use FrontPage) and has more flexibility. But of
course with flexibility comes more of a requirement to know the program.

One example, when I used Frontpage a few years ago, I didn't know anything
about coding that goes behind the construction of a web page. Frontpage
takes you through a step-by-step approach at designing. Frontpage underlines
all hyperlinks (or it use to). I didn't want my links underlined, but not
knowing how to handcode at the time, I had to leave it. This wasn't an issue
in Dreamweaver. Oh yea, and when you go to view the page (the way it will
look on the website, it looks garbled, but it really doesn't turn out that
way).

In retrospect I would've liked to have learned Dreamweaver first and skipped
Frontpage all together. Since they require the same amount of time in
training, I'd go with Dreamweaver.

I have used both. FrontPage is easier to use but once to learn DreamWeaver
you will have a much better site. FrontPage does have a limit to the size of
the site. It is about 50megs - quite large but this may be a consideration.

I moved from Publisher (which is very simple) to Frontpage over the summer
and I thought it was very easy (and much nicer) to use.  I have not tried
DreamWeaver but I'd also be interested in hearing a comparison of the good
and bad for each of these programs.

My thoughts on FrontPage are that it allows much more flexibility and I
enjoyed being able to move around within the program (writing codes) and
inserting JavaScript (which I was also learning).

Most people freak out about Dreamweaver not having a 'MicroSoft' interface.
It may have a slightly longer learning curve if not first presented well.
The pages you develop in DW will be more portable (read better on Macs and
PCs with browsers other than IE), smaller (faster dl), and from my
experience, easier to change and update. Also, if you really get into
design, DW offers many more features and can be customized to your specific
uses with add-ons that are usually free.

Check with local or state software consortium, we were able to buy DW for
about $60 last year. Great support from company and from the user base.

I think Dreamweaver is a much better program. I've been using it for a
number of years at work now and I find it easy to look at the html code and
make changes at that level - which you can't easily do with FrontPage