I had several requests to post a hit.  My original request was for books
to support a joint project that is being developed by our middle school
guidance counselor and our middle school reading teacher.  They plan to
have our eighth grade girls read novels dealing with relevant issues.
They will meet in small groups before the school day begins to discuss
the books (and have muffins and juice).  The culminating activity will
be to gather in the evening as a large group to watch a movie and spend
time together.  The hope is that it will open channels for discussion on
these issues.

I asked for recommended titles on bullying and also on sexuality issues
such as STD's, peer pressure to have sex, dating, and relationships.
Thanks to all who generously responded!  We now have many wonderful
ideas to use.  Here are your responses:

Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson has been popular here - in that general
subject area.

The Girls by Koss--Bullying

How about Speak?

The Girls by Amy Goldman Koss is an excellent fiction book about the
"Queen Bee" bullying that girls are so good at.

The Bluford series deals with these issues and more, and it is not
expensive. The books are not all very long, but have a high student
interest rate. They are published by Townsend Press:
http://www.townsendpress.com

There's a great resource available called The Bully in the Book and in
the Classroom.  I've got it at school - and I'm at home with no on-line
catalog access.  If you can't find it from just that title, get back to
me.

I LOVE Breathing Underwater by Alex Flinn.  It's about an abusive high
school relationship.  I had tough eighth grade girls read it, and their
reaction went from, "Nick's not so bad, she should give him a second
chance" to "She ought to run and never look back."  I think everyone
should read it to see how insidious and gradual an abusive relationship
can be. The kids are having a sexual relationship but it's not explicit.

Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson

Both Speak and Catalyst by Laurie Halse Anderson are excellent.

Two excellent books that come to mind are "Speak" by Laurie Halse
Anderson and "Alt Ed" (sorry, I don't have the author's name with me at
home). Good luck!

Wounded Spirit by Frank Peretti is wonderful (even though it is
non-fiction)

The Girls, by Koss is a good one. Definitely nails the whole
girls-being-mean-for-no-reason-to-other-girls thing. Reading level
isn't too tough so it would be appropriate for all readers.

Drowning Anna by Sue Mayfield is a detailed account of an incident
involving teen girls bullying.

I just finished reading TORCH RED by Melody Carlson. It deals with
premarital sex and has a very strong message. Ms. Carlson is a Christian
author. My middle school girls love her books.

I haven't actually read them, but they came highly recommended - The
Blueford series.  There are 10 in the series and they are on those types
of topics.  Townsend Press publishes/sells them for only a $1.00 each.
I bought a set for our class & the kids love them.

Brenda Hahn, librarian
Dell Rapids Public School Library
Dell Rapids, SD 57022-1121
hahnbr@dellrapids.com