I had e-mailed the list for ideas on how to remodel and update our old media
center.  Below are the responses that I received. Thanks to all who
responded to my request for ideas and thoughts about the needs of a 21st
century library.  Knowing how much libraries have changed in the last 20
years, it is hard to know where we will be 20 years from now.  Our
facilities will have to be as flexible as possible to meet those needs.  I
am looking at some of the new book store shelving that is being marketed to
libraries.  It would allow us not only to store books but to display them
and provide flexibility for other types of media display and storage in the
future.  Is anyone using this type of shelving?  How do you like it?

---------------------------
The 21st Century library needs to have the ability to up date technology
quickly. Small work areas and tutorial rooms are in my dream plan. Data show
areas too. I think we will still need shelving as books are still a great
way to share stories and information. Flexibility would be the key with all
furnishing. Everything is changing so quickly we need to be flexible to
change too.

-------------------------
(One schools proposal for a new facility)

The vision of the library/media program is to ensure that all students are
effective users of ideas and information. Approximately 160 students/day and
50 classes/month use the current facility. Often, the presence of a class
pre-empts library use by individuals. In addition, special programs often
take place in the media center, necessitating an interruption in normal
library service.

A technologically intensive media center with flexible and adaptable
multi-purpose space for individual as well as small or large group work and
collaboration will create a learning destination that supports the goals of
the MCSD, the New York State Learning Standards, No Child Left Behind
legislation and the Information Literacy Standards of the American Library
Association. Studies in 12 states and over 3300 schools have shown that the
quality of school library media center staff, facilities and resources
results in a consistent 10-20% difference in student academic achievement
(Frances Roscello, School Library Media Services, NYSED)

*       An enhanced facility will increase access to library resources and
technology for all (per SED and NCLB):
o       supporting multiple uses simultaneously, with quiet as well as
active learning spaces
o       eliminating the need to close the library to individuals when
classes must be accommodated
o       providing timely access to resources at the "teachable moment"
o       encouraging collaboration and cooperation between and among all
stakeholders (students, teachers and community)
o       creating the potential to include after school hours and community
access, which will improve community relations and result in increased
parent involvement with our school

*       An expanded facility will provide room for growth and flexibility to
change with the demands of the future (per CDEP):
o       improving student reading and writing skills by accommodating a
larger collection of books
tied to curriculum as well as personal interests of students and staff. SED
currently recommends 20-25 resources/student, substantially more than our
collection currently accommodates
o       encouraging student growth in problem-solving, information
evaluation and self-assessment skills through increased opportunities for
information literacy instruction which will directly benefit reading,
writing and math achievement
o       increasing access to multimedia resources and production
capabilities thereby motivating students to create and share their knowledge
authentically, resulting in better communication skills
o       maximizing the potential of the facility to become a true learning
laboratory where student access, teacher access and technology access are
key to the implementation of curriculum

An enhanced library/media center will exemplify our District's goals and
philosophy in that it will provide an environment conducive to
collaboration, communication and lifelong learning

-----------------------------

Lots of electrical outlets and space

-----------------------------

This may seem simplistic, but make sure there are lots of outlets in places
where students can use them at work (in study carrels, in the floor under
tables, along window ledges, etc).  We are a laptop school, and the library
is only 20 years old.  Some laptops now come with 5 hour batteries for a
price, but most kids don't want to run on battery power all day. I
constantly have to remind kids that to plug in they must use of the two
tables that has a power strip beneath it so wires are not strung across
pathways. And teaching a class using the overhead or Infocus requires at
least two plugs, at a time when there might already be a couple dozen kids
in there doing other things. We are far from bing truly wireless, though the

wireless network is pretty good.