ORIGNAL QUESTION:

Doea anyone have daily  ideas that can be suggested to coincide with Dr
Seuss books?  Ex: Green Eggs and Ham for book of that title  would be
served @ breakfast that day. Looking for lowkey schoolwide activities. I
will post a hit.   ( I was looking for both food and daily activities to conicide
with his books)

Thank you!

Robert Joyce
robert@gcronline.com
Virginia: Pittsylvania County Public Schools: Brosville Elementary

REPLIES FROM THE QUESTION:

*** I will post an addendum if more replies arrive.

scrambled eggs with Scrambled Eggs Super
pink lemonade with If I Ran the Circus
chicken croquettes with If I ran the Zoo
birthday cake with Happy Birthday to You

You could serve bread and butter to coincide with the Butter Battle
book.

My Many Colored Days: students wear the most colors they can fit on
themselves in one day.
The 500 Hats of Bartholomew Cubbins: have students wear home-made hats
Daisy Head Mayzie: have students plant flower seeds in styrofoam cups
to be transplanted when the weather permits
Bartholomew and The Oobleck: serve an odd colored pudding in the
cafeteria or make oobleck (recipes online will give you exact
measurements but it calls for water and cornstarch and food coloring)
The Butter Battle Book: buttered toast for breakfast
The Sneetches: have students put paper stars on themselves
I Had Trouble Getting to Solla Sollew: have the students write a
paragraph or two about a vacation trip where something didn't go quite
right
Oh, The Places You'll Go: students look up information on a
country/place they've never been and share what they've learned with
classmates
Did I Ever Tell You How Lucky You Are?: have students brainstorm on
what luck means and how they would know if they were lucky

Wacky Wednesday and everyone wore their clothes and hair wacky.

community party at a public library once.
 I prepared some kids, with a professional piano player (free of charge
fortunately)
and had a sing along with songs from seuss song book and from
seussical.

The cat in the hat in the hat in the haaaaa....t
You're a mean one Mr. Grinch . . . .
Drip Drop Dribble Dribble
A person is a person is a person after all . . .

Put some hoola hoops on ground and let kids fish (using magnets) in
McElligots
Pool.
Pin the tail or the bow on the cat.
A coloring and craft station crazy fish or other suess characters.  we
had
the kids put string through straws and attach one end to the fish's
mouth
and then you can pull the string and it looks like you are reeling it
in.

make/toss green eggs.  Paint green i forget the name of that board with
yellow half of a syrofoam ball in center.
We also had an appearance by the cat and Thing one and Thing two.
I made the costume myself, I don't know if there are copyright laws
involved
but NOWHERE at the time could I get red and white hats.  I just did
finally
get one from the Scholastic Store in New York.
Random House seems to have the rights.  You can check with them about
the
costume.
Thing one and two: Two teenage girls just wore some crazy pajama like
outfits
with gloves make up and striped hats.

Oh, we had a little library corner set up also with some plush toys,

I really did all this myself when I was working at a public library !!!

Definitely provide some biographical information
See www.edHelper.com
one of our teachers uses that site and today he  just shared a
biography
on seuss followed by a little multiple choice (comprehension like)
quizz

REPLIES FROM PREVIOUSLY ASKED QUESTION (saved by Robert into his own "archives")

Monday is Cat in the Hat day and students can wear ahat to school,
Tuesday
is The Foot Book and studentscan wear two different shoes, Wednesday is
WackyWednesday day and students can wear mismatched,backwards, or
inside out
clothes, Thursday is There'sa Wocket in my Pocket day and students are
encouragedto speak using rhyming words, and Friday is Green Eggsand Ham
day
and the cafeteria is making green eggs andgreen grits for breakfast).

Alphabet soup  (Dr. Seuss's ABC Book)
Toast (Butter Battle Book - did they eat their toast buttered side up
or
down?)
Kellogg's Frosted Flakes (I Can Lick 30 Tigers Today)
Mooseburgers  (Thidwick the Big-Hearted Moose)
Hat-shaped Cookies (Cat in the Hat or 500 Hats of Bartholomew Cubbins)
Pancake Stacks (Yertle the Turtle)
Fish nugges or any fish-shaped food (One Fish, Two Fish)
Food pockets, such as pizza pockets (There's a Wocket in my Pocket)
Lime jello (Bartholomew and the Oobleck)
Pigs in a Blanket  (called Cats in the Hat)
roast beast
Frankfurter roasts (hot dogs)   (Sneetches)
Who Ham

      Scrambled Eggs Super!
     scrambled eggs with exotic stir-ins

      The Butter Battle Book
     bread and butter

      Bartholomew and the Oobleck
     green jello

      Hooray for Diffendoofer Day!
     pizza, milk and cake

      McElligot's Pool
      One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish
     fish or fish-shaped crackers

 Fish nuggets =       (One Fish, Two Fish)

Bread & Butter =(Butter Battle Book)

Cheese Sticks= (Fox in Sox)

Lime Jello = (Bartholomew & the Oobleck)

Milk=   (Hooray for  Diffendofer Day)

Wednesday- Wacky Wednesday (kids wear two different shoes or clothes
backwards)
Thursday-Crazy hat day--Cat in the Hat hats or a wacky hat.
Friday- One, Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish--Everyone wears red or
blue that day.

Every dresses like the Cat in the Hat. Everyone wears black. We give
out
strips of red crepe paper for bow ties, and we make tall striped Cat
hats.

***Anyone who has both BLACK & RED as school colors could have them worn for the
day.