Yes  I have had student teachers. You are on the right track. A few
pearls of wisdom that I have gleaned over the years.
Insist on regular hours.Stick to them.
Set aside 1/2 hour in the beginning of the day to verbalize your plans
Set aside 1/2 hour at the end to reflect on the day.
Insist on a journal.
Assign reading- essential read alouds, reference titles like Judy
Freeman's Books Kids will sit Still For and Huck/Kiefer's Children's
Books in the Elementary Classroom, collection development policies.Your
state standards for information literacy.Good time for a child
development review. I recommend Yardsticks by Chip Wood.
Assign a goal and have your student teacher create a mini-lesson to
reach it.Something simple like alphabetical order with first graders or
website evaluation with 4th graders.
Let go- the student teacher needs to teach. After a few weeks give up a
few classes. Try not to intervene unless all is lost.  I had to let my
last student teacher run over time so that she could understand the need
to keep an eye on the clock. Yes, it is important to have the kids
checked out, lined up and ready for their their next transition. No, it
isn't as easy as it looks.Good time to lighten up and laugh.Tell a few
stories of your own mistakes as a newcomer to the profession. Classroom
management issues? I went home crying in frustration every Wednesday my
first year because of one 4th grade class.
When a teacher requests books assign the task to the student teacher,
reviewing and making your own recommendations.
Assign a section of the collection to weed and to create a replacement
order of current titles.
Pick an age group that she will select books to read aloud to- Have her
select titles for review and read aloud practice. Listen to her read
aloud and offer tips.
Take her to the teacher's workroom and introduce her to other teachers
and talk about their curriculum.
When you are teaching verbalize." I am asking the students to enter
their topic in the " key word search". " That is the hardest for me to
do but the student teacher needs to know why you are making certain
choices. It is exhausting. Sometimes being a mentor feels like a part
time job but it also rewarding setting a new member of our community on
their path. The experience always helps me to look at my practice and
understand the underpinnings of my teaching as well as recognizing my
own growth as a teacher.
Lisa

Lisa Von Drasek
Children's Librarian
Bank Street College of Education
School for Children Pre-K- 8
610 West 112th St
NY  NY   10025

lisav@bnkst.edu

212 875 4452

Lisa Von Drasek
Children's Librarian
Bank Street College of Education
School for Children Pre-K- 8
610 West 112th St
NY  NY   10025

lisav@bnkst.edu

212 875 4452

>>> Johanna Halbeisen <johanna.newsong@RCN.COM> 01/31/05 6:36 PM >>>
Dear Friends,
        I have a library student asking me if she can do her student
teaching with me.  She has worked in an elementary school as a
"Library Aide" for ten years (that is, running the school library on
a peanuts salary).  She manages the budget and reads to the kids when
they come to her library, so she isn't new to any of this.
        If you have had a student teacher/librarian, what kinds of
things did you have her/him do?  (Are there any men at the elementary
level???)  I'm a little at sea trying to think of ways to give her
experience teaching library skills and helping kids one-to-one,
neither of which she's been able to do.   Any thoughts about how I
can help her learn what she needs to know?  (The first thing I did
was to introduce her to LM_NET.)
--
Johanna Halbeisen, Library Media Teacher
Woodland Elementary School (K-4)