I seem to remember some information being presented to us (as teachers of the
visually impaired and blind) that described statistics relating to the "visual
learner" --and believe it or not, we discovered that there are "visual learners"
who are blind.

I would certainly check journals that deal specifically with the education of the
blind and visually impaired (since we were often required to study and read these
journals as educators of the visually impaired, I found a LOT of information that
could relate to regular education there).

One that I felt was the best was:

Journal of Visual Impairment and Blindness (online journals / index available:
http://www.afb.org/jvib/jvib_main.asp

Another is Re:View--
http://www.heldref.org/review.php

Some websites that might contain information about books dealing with the education
of the blind include:

American Foundation for the Blind (website)
http://www.afb.org/

I know this sounds like "working around the issue" but I think if you could contact
some of the agencies and organizations that deal with the education of the blind,
you would find the statistics that you need (since they often include this type of
information when they discuss the impact that visual learning has on the visually
impaired / blind student.

In the meantime, I'll keep looking and if I find anything through JVIB (online
databases), I'll send you the information and post it here for others who wanted a
HIT!

Keep searching!  I know it's out there!

Shonda Brisco, MLIS
US / Technology Librarian
Fort Worth Country Day School
Fort Worth, TX
sbrisco@fwcds.org
>>> Barbara Braxton <barbara@IIMETRO.COM.AU> 07/03/05 18:01 PM >>>
For those of you who asked me to post a hit, there is little I can offer.  I
searched the Net and
although I found a number of papers, most of them seemed to be a copy and paste of
each other and
all referred back to

Farrald, Robert R., Shamber, Richard G., A Diagnostic and Prescriptive Technique: A
Mainstream
Approach to Identification, Assessment and Amelioration of Learning Disabilities.
Sioux Falls, South
Dakota, Adapt Press 1973.

who suggested that 80% of learning was via the eyes (although the more senses
involved the more
powerful the experience) and that 40% of people are primarily visual learners,
rather than audial or
kinesthetic.

Any other references would be good.
Barbara