Thanks to all who suggested ideas for librarian homework assignments for the
upcoming library workshops that I'll be doing.

I still have a couple, though, that I'm trying to rework.  If you have ideas for
homework assignments that could be done by librarians (and that have relevance to
their daily activities within the library), I'd appreciate the brainstorming.

Here's where I'm working:

Workshop title:  More Than Google

Is "Google" a verb used for research in your library? If so, don't fight it!
Instead, learn search strategies and techniques to teach students and teachers to
utilize the "deep resources" available to them within the Invisible Web.  Discover
techniques and search engines that will allow all students to become more effective
Internet searchers and discover simple methods to extract great resources, as well
as hidden databases, from the Internet.

Homework?

------------------------------------

Workshop title:  How to Select Online Databases for Your Library

All databases are NOT alike.  Determine which databases provide the best resources
for the students served by your library and learn how to link student success to
your database purchases.  An evaluation of the top databases, their age level
appropriateness, the resources available, as well as special features offered by
each is examined, as well as how to show the impact of student achievement through
the use of online databases

Homework ???

Workshop title:  More Than Books-- Selecting Non-print materials

You've got a great print collection but you still have no idea how to select great
magazines, videos, kits, games, and realia for your library.  Learn how to choose
some of the best magazines and non-print resources for your library and discover
the professional tools and curriculum resources available to help you quickly and
easily determine what can enhance your print collection

Homework???

While it's easy to assign the librarians things like write a "bibliography" or
"paragraph" of what was learned from these workshops, I'd rather they utilize a few
pieces of technology--including their library's webpages, digital cameras, software
programs, etc. when they complete an assignment.  I know that I'm probably
expecting WAY too much, but I think once the librarians realize how important their
work will become to other librarians (as I am hoping to combine some of the best
homework assignments into a product for use by others in our area), they will
contribute their projects / homework.

Any ideas would be appreciated for these last three assignments.

Thanks!

Shonda Brisco, MLIS
US / Technology Librarian
Fort Worth Country Day School