I know all four elementary librarians that feed students to my middle
school have many lessons building on location skills (OPAC, Spine
labels, subject headings, ToC, keywords, etc) over their years.  And I
know that there is only so much learning that can happen with 25 kids in
20 minutes once a week, especially with little or no integration.

Virtually all of the kids know how to use the OPAC, to varying degrees,
coming into my middle school. Some try to use it like google, most know
when to use Subject or Title or Author, some know how to use a range of
limiters. However,  while the vast majority know that Paulsen is mostly
in the Fiction section and have discovered it is labeled just like
'their old library', they  are disoriented after 5 or 6 years in the
same library and may be a bit overwhelmed with the new size and layout.
Some aren't always articulate about what they need to know. Good signage
only goes so far; helping them be able to get the question out,
especially if they are concerned about how they are being percieved, is
difficult.

And it never hurts to remember that though we've heard the question a
hundred times already that day, it is that kid's first time asking it.

Robert Eiffert
Librarian, Pacific MS  Vancouver WA
pac.egreen.wednet.edu/library beiffert@egreen.wednet.edu
Librarian in the Middle Blog: beiffert.net  robert@beiffert.net