Hi, I'm catching up on LM_NET after ALA in Chicago and
a family reunion in St. Louis and can't resist
seconding Chris' suggestion about volunteering through
this program. It was great to have Chris and her
co-hort from Buffalo sit in and participate(wish they
had spoken up more) in the AASL strategic planning
sessions they were helping at. We experienced folks
need to hear lots from newbies as we shape the future
of our professional organization.

I'm especially glad that Chris will be in a library
about 45 minutes from me because she has lots of
leadership potential! Our state organization (NYLA)
has a dual student memberhship deal with ALA; students
just need to designate SLMS as their section for NYLA
and AASL as their division for ALA to keep up with
current happenings at the state and national level.

It was nice to meet you, Chris!

Keep in touch, Sara Kelly Johns, AASL Region II
Director

--- Chris Putnam-Pouliot <cp4854@ALBANY.EDU> wrote:

> I just returned from the ALA Conference which I
> attended as SUNY Albany's
> Student to Staff Volunteer. This is a program in
> which each Student
> Chapter of ALA chooses one student to attend the ALA
> conference. The
> registration, hotel, and a per diem for meals is
> provided by ALA. The
> student volunteers for one of the ALA divisions, I
> worked for AASL. I
> highly recommend this program for any of you LM-NET
> readers who are still
> in library school. It was a great experience for me.
> I would not have been
> able to afford to attend the conference on my own.
>
> I attended some really great programs. Hip-Hop
> Library Arts was presented
> by an English teacher from an inner city school in
> LA. He connects
> contemporary hip-hop songs and classic poetry. Once
> the students have
> looked at the elements of poetry through a song they
> can relate to, they
> are more able to engage in a poem. His basic message
> was to get the
> students engaged and interested in what they are
> learning.
>
> Another great session was Slippery Slope, Ethics for
> Teens. This program
> was about teaching students to use technology
> ethically. The speaker got
> everyone involved by having us look at scenarios
> about unethical uses of
> thechnology and respond to them. This is the same
> way she works with her
> students. The idea is to get students to connect the
> virtual world to the
> real world. If it is wrong to steal, then it is also
> wrong to use someone
> else's email address to send mean messages to
> people.
>
> Because I was a volunteer for AASL, I got to attend
> the awards luncheon
> for free! Mo Willems was a wonderful speaker. He's
> very funny.
>
> Finally, I want to put in a plug for AASL (American
> Association of School
> Librarians). Everyone should join! They are the
> national organization that
> advocates for school librarians. We need their
> support, and they need
> ours.
>
> Chris Putnam-Pouliot
> Recent graduate of SUNY Albany
> Soon-to-be Teacher-Librarian
> Elizabethtown-Lewis Central School
> Elizabethtown, NY

> All LM_NET postings are protected by copyright law.
> To change your LM_NET status, e-mail to:
> listserv@listserv.syr.edu
> In the message write EITHER: 1) SIGNOFF LM_NET  2)
> SET LM_NET NOMAIL
> 3) SET LM_NET MAIL  4) SET LM_NET DIGEST  * Allow
> for confirmation.
> LM_NET Help & Information:
> http://www.eduref.org/lm_net/
> Archive: http://www.eduref.org/lm_net/archive/
> EL-Announce with LM_NET Select:
> [...]

Lake Placid Middle/Senior HS LMC
34 School Street
Lake Placid, NY 12946
518-523-2474, ext. 4132
FAX: 518-523-4861
johns@northnet.org
SaraKJohns@aol.com

"Information is the currency of democracy." -- Thomas Jefferson