Our district is considering doing a one-book reading event at our middle schools
next year.  We have three middle schools, grades 6-8, and we would like to use a
book that supports character education.  I would appreciate some title suggestions
from those of you working at the middle school level.  I've been gone from M.S. for
10 years now, so I know I am not as up-to-date as those living with middle
schoolers every day.

Some things we will want to consider, of course, are:

1) appeals to both genders
2)  author is still alive and willing to do school/author visits
3)  little to no profanity (We aren't out to shake up the world, but rather to
nurture the concept of sharing what we read and how it affects us.)  I guess, I
want a G rating, if possible.  <G>
4)  story hooks the kids and they want to finish the book

We've been tossing around titles by Will Hobbs and Ben Mikaelsen.  Any of their
books that springs to mind for character ed?  What about Hoot?  I prefer a title
that is not a movie....that movie route is just too tempting for some nonreaders!
I had Gordon Korman visit my school years ago.  At that time, his books were all
humor stories.  Has he done anything recently that is in the character ed area?  He
really connected with kids in his presentations.  Of course, he was practically
still a kid, back then!

I look forward to your insights.
Christine

Christine Findlay, CRC Director