My original request for help:

I am working on an end-of-the-year checklist of tasks that need to be
done on an annual basis.  I feel like there's a lot more that I do that
I can't think of right now, so I'm looking for suggestions (or a
pre-made list).

The responses:

I make a to-do  list every year and always leave things off.  The same with
opening. For everything I cross off, I always feel like I am adding something I
forgot!

My important things are:
shelf read
inventory
run overdues every few days
check to make sure books that a are checked out to students are not on the shelf
list of obligations to office
get audio-visual equipment back ( I always forget to do this!)
type purchase orders for things I need for September
Clean out old handouts I dont' need anymore
gently remind teachers abouttheir overdue materials every few days.  :)
annual report with circ stats and class stats
If I have time, I start runnig things off for next year to get ahead of the game

Review students end of year folders
Offer students and teachers a chance to evaluate the library.
Send late notices and fine notices in school and home.
Take down displays.
Send in equipment  for repair.
Reshelve all Library materials.
Dispose of any weeded materials.
Label any materials that need to be cataloged.
Repair any damaged books and return to shelf.
If necessary review your policies.
Check Circ. equipment and computers. Batteries for handhelds.
Purge portable unit after uploading.
Edit or delete records if necessary for students leaving and new ones
entering.
Take down bulletin boards.
Leave materials and records available for next year.
Dust, unplug, and cover all computers. Secure equipment.
Turn in Student Library cards.
Set computers with beginning of next year dates when library will be
opening.
Back up holdings and take one copy home with you.
Put important paperwork (inventory, schedules, material orders,
budgets,
work orders, wrc.) in a library notebook or folder and leave it on a
clean
desk.
Be positive and Flexible and have a sense of humor.

Remove batteries from remotes
Cover items to protect from dust
Re-subscribe to magazines for next year
Other than inventory, these are all I can think of at this moment.
Pitiful, huh?

http://teach.fcps.net/trt11/libtechserv/datebook.htm#May

AV supplies (lightbulb, new equipment)
Book covering supplies
labeling supplies
office supplies
inventory
overview of next year budget, where you already have $ committed
(subscriptions, standing orders, etc.)
collection development lists (what do you want to add to enhance your
collection next year)
Filing--all those great ideas you've printed off from LM-NET!   :-)
Summer Reading
Special Projects (anything you haven't had time to do!)
Organize catalogs, throw out old ones
Appts.  w/ reps/ vendors/ demos/
maintenance requests
End of year reports
End of year newsletter
Collection/Fines
Next year's programming ideas
Forms you want to add or change for the next year
Calendar of programming events for next year
Bulletin Boards
arrangements for Plants/Animals to be cared for (I have a fish)
Clean out email
Clean out word docs you have saved
Back up copy of everything!
Check in/clean/repair equipment that has been returned

End of the year items I really like to get done before
I leave for the summer:
1] Update my handbook for my student aides - change
job descriptions, clarify directions further, etc.
2] Update my handbook for substitutes with new school
calendar, any changes in policy or procedures that he
/ she will need to know.  Then, in August, all I need
to add is my schedule - when I teach French, when I'm
in the library, and who my student aides are going to
be.
3] Organize materials for the bulletin boards I'll
putting up in the fall. Gather everything I need -
background paper, letters, etc.  Prepare
bibliogrpahies to go with boards.
4] Prepare reading lists for teachers.  (I have a
couple teachers who decide on their reading list for
Book Report #1 in May, and this really helps out.)
5] Make BACK-UPS of everything - OPAC data base, my
computer favorites, my email address book, policy &
procedures manual for library, etc., etc.
6] Make a list of other projects that have to be done
right away in August so something crucial isn't
overlooked.
7] Make plans for a great summer, with plenty of time
for quilting projects and good books!

Chase down lost/missing books and collect fines if you charge them
Chase down a-v materials/equipment checked out by teachers and not returned
Perform annual inventory if required
Make sure all items are in proper shelf-list order
Clean, dust
Pull items for repair or rebinding
Pull items for discard
Correct any inconsistencies inventory uncovered in your database
Perform database maintenance
Create at least 2 fresh backups and store one off site
Unplug whatever needs to be secured from possible electrical surges over summer
Delete lost/missing/discarded items from database (or do first thing in fall)
Delete graduating students from database (or do first thing in fall)
Take down bulletin board/display materials not needed for fall
File magazines and catalogs
Discard magazines not needed for archival purposes (unless you do this at a
different time)
Sort through acculumlated papers/bulletins/announcements/notes...file what's needed
and
      chuck the rest
Run circulation or inventory statistics as required by administration
Account for all money taken in or spent
Fill out and file annual report to administration (if your system has one)
Babysit students who don't go on field trips for whatever reason
Prepare award certificates for student workers and/or volunteers
Attend awards ceremony and present awards
Run Accelerated Reader reports for teachers (if you use AR and are system
Administrator)
Run virus scans and spyware blockers before shutting down for summer
Troubleshoot any virus problems found
Prepare maintenance requests for equipment and library rooms
Secure librarian's desk/supplies for summer (I have to empty my desk)
Straighten/clean workroom or other rooms assigned to library suite

    I don't know if this is the type of thing you are looking for, but
have this list that I use to help me keep track of what I need to do
for
computer maintenance after my inventory.  Your specifics might be
different,
depending on your system, but this does sort of list the general tasks,
so I
thought you might find it helpful.  Good luck,

After Inventory (Reports and More)

For Spectrum

(Make back ups regularly along the way)

1. Print the list of materials checked out, and clean it up as much as
possible. Check with teachers one last time, check on missing
equipment,
etc.

2. Go through, and put messages on any materials lost by teachers.

3. Go through the list and change the status of any materials still
checked
out to lost. Put messages on them as to who lost them.

4. Print a list of material messages, which gets filed in the "Lost and
Paid
For" folder. This list will include the messages on all the materials
from
the "Lost and Paid For" books. This will be needed to make any refunds
for
found materials during the next year.

5. Print the list of Materials Lost. Print two copies, or make copy of
list.
File one copy in Inventory by year folder. Put other in Materials Lost
folder.

6. Print statistical reports, and file in Statistics folder by year.
Reports
should include

a. System Information

b. Checkout and Fine Statistics

c. Number of Holdings by Type

d. Number of Patrons by Type

e. Usage by Patron Type

f. Usage by Material Type

7. Using one copy of the Materials Lost list, highlight materials that
have
been missing for three years. Delete all such materials from database.
Make
note on permanent copy (in Inventory folder) of how many materials were
deleted, as those are the ones considered permanently lost.

8. Go through and clear usage totals

Select Winnebago - Maintenance - File Management

Clear

Patron Type Usages

Material Type Usages

Check-outs to date

CIRC Log

(Fine log, if using fines)

9. Update patron information.

a. Using batch process, delete all the fifth graders from the system.
(DO
THIS FIRST!) Fifth grade is Patron Type 5.

b. Update the patron circulation privileges.

Select Winnebago - Setup - Patron Types

Set the circulation privileges expiration date for each patron type.

Set the global due date for each patron type.

c. When the new student list is ready, cross check with Spectrum
records.
Input the new students, delete former students, and edit current
students,
replacing patron type numbers and teachers in the data records.

10. Set up the calendar for the following year

Click Winnebago - Setup - Calendar

Click on days the school will be closed

Click the Add New Year button to add the next calendar year

Click that year's closed days

Click save

Return to current year from the drop down menu.

11. Check the list of patrons with expired privileges. Renew them, or
delete
them.

Diane Lungaro, librarian
dianelu@yahoo.com
Sussex Middle School
Sussex-Wantage Regional Schools District
Sussex, NJ 07461

 Sell on Yahoo! Auctions  - No fees. Bid on great items.