Friends,
It's always interesting to see how one listserv discussion diverges to
another, how a remark stimulates controversy.  For example, the recent
thread about placement of series books generated a clash about teaching
library skills (still going on) and has now thrust its way into rigid vs
flexible library access.

[I appreciate flexible scheduling of the library, but I'm always a
little envious of librarians whose students have "library class" once a
week.  I'm sure I echo the thoughts of other flex-schedule librarians
who would love to see every student in the school even once a month!
Ah, imagine what I could teach, how I could build knowledge, if I knew I
would see students on a regular recurring basis... anyway...]

My only elementary library experience was as a parent volunteer two
decades ago, and I was privileged to work with a librarian who has
become a respected, published professional in our state.  I still
remember how she used scheduled library time to reinforce what was
happening in the classroom, introducing relevant books to read and
teaching library skills when needed.  I remember her difficulties
finding time to speak with teachers, but I also remember her command of
curriculum, how she knew who to talk to, when, about what skills needed
to be introduced or reinforced when a particular class came to the
library.  Memories of her inspired me while helping my own children
progress through school, while teaching students when I re-entered
teaching, and while studying and becoming a librarian.  About two years
ago, I attended a workshop with this librarian, now in a high school
library, and she continues to impress me with her ability to accomplish
much in whatever circumstances.

While I know this librarian is exceptional, I don't think she is
unique--this listserv alone has introduced me to many such librarians.
What I also know is that student interaction with school (and public)
librarians varies widely across ages, locations, and circumstances.
That is why I'm distressed when one or more of us assumes that the
reason students don't know something is because some other librarian
deliberately refrained from teaching it, whether through laziness or
ignorance.  If we chastise other librarians for incidents about which we
have no background information, we imitate those outside education who
arbitrarily blame our community for so many problems.

I implicitly _trust_ that, with whatever circumstances librarians have,
we teach as much as possible, always striving to increase and improve
each student's learning opportunities.  I plead that all of us adopt
this trust.  We can air frustration without blame (causing us to defend
ourselves against each other) and request ideas for solving a problem
(and this, in fairness, is what usually happens here).  Before posting,
please ask yourself if a problem is really someone else's? if a comment
is worthy of rebuttal or vindication? if you would want to hear your own
commentary directed at you?

This turbulent time for all of education is not a time for divisiveness,
but is a time for us to work together on behalf of students everywhere.

Barbara Paciotti, SLMIS
Barbara Bush MS, Irving TX
barupa@swbell.net