Dear LM_Netters,

I'm in need of serious help.  My district has purchased a "digital on demand"
system for our school district.  The hardware is from VBrick.  The system will
allow teachers to access our vhs and dvd collection digitally from a server that is
connected to our network.

In order to upload our collection, the vhs tapes and the dvd discs will need to be
uploaded as MPG2 or MPG3 to this internal server.  The material will not be
streamed via the Internet.

My question to you is:  If we upload these materials, are we in copyright
violation?  I think that we would be in violation because we would be changing the
format of the original material.

We have a license agreement with Movie Licensing USA for public performance rights
for non-educational purposes, however, they did not grant permission for DRM.

I'm supposed to get back to the network guy by the end of the week.  What can I
tell him?

If you are currently using Vbrick in your school, please let me know how you got
around this situation.

I don't want to be the obstacle to technology in our school, I just want us to be
legal with it.

I'll post a hit for anyone interested.

Thank you in advance,
Nina