Thanks to everyone who responded.  I ended up with an Epson PowerLite
81p to be consistent with the one that my technology person discovered
was already on order.  Here's the hit for those who asked.

Our school system has several of the BENQ projectors.  I was not
involved in their purchase (the tech guy at the BOE chose them) but
they have been great so far.  I hope that helps.

We've been pleased with SHARP models that cost around $1200-$1300.00.
They are very easy to use.  But--I especially like a high-end Sony
that can show a memory stick (just stick it in the slot), regular
video, S video and it has an automatic tilt when you turn it on.  But,
it was over $3000.00.

I recommend keeping the unit on a cart with a laptop and DVD/VCR so
you can easily move it around and use it in many ways/locations.   Our
teachers love that sort of set up and it is very handy in the media
center, too.

What else is available in your school district.  I like to have the same
brand of projectors if possible.

Get the brightest output you can afford (measured in 'lumens')...brighter
is better.  Also, budget for a replacement bulb..they are extremely
expensive, on the order of $300-400.  The lighter, smaller units may be
attractive, but often overheat...you might consider a larger unit that has
more cooling space and capacity (i.e. larger fan).  Built-in speakers are a
plus unless this will be permanently mounted and connected to a sound
system in the library.  Be usre the speakers have enough volume to be heard
in the space where it will be used.

We have been using Epson Powerlite the last couple of years and have been
very happy with them. They have been easy to use, good quality images, and
features like the keystone auto correction are a plus.

My school uses Infocus projectors http://www.infocus.com/

--
Bonnie Bredes
SLMS