I've used these kits with my students (grades 5-8) and allowed them to
"investigate" for three days.  Because they were able to come into the
library on their own time and we used a time / date stamp for all entries
turned in to solve the murder, it allowed those who were faster to finish
when they figured it out, while allowing those who needed more time or
didn't have access to the library before or after school the time they
needed to finish during the regular day's activities (or at lunch).

I think you could probably complete a mystery within a 2-3 hour period
without interruptions but it depends on how long you want to extend the
program.  I think more than 2-3 days would become boring for some students,
but if you had a class period (45 minutes or so) with a group for one full
week, you might be able to keep them entertained for the entire time.

Have fun and good luck!  These are great kits!

Shonda Brisco, MLIS
US / Technology Librarian
Fort Worth Country Day School
Fort Worth, TX
sbrisco021@charter.net

"It can take a master carpenter to build a barn, but any jackass can kick it
down....."
   ~Lyndon B. Johnson