Here are some of the titles that were suggested to me for a middle school community
read project.  Thank you all so much for taking the time to share your ideas and
opinions with me.  I've placed most of these on reserve so I can read them myself
and other committee members are reading them, too.  I'm sure we will know which one
meets our need the best very soon.   Hoot got the most recommendations, by the way,
with some people calling to suggest it.

- - I absolutely loved _Hoot_ and I know middle schoolers at your school would,
too. I can't think of a better character education discussion tool. There
are a few swear words so you'd better read it for yourself to know what your
community will accept. I think this book can draw in every aspect of the
curriculum.

_City of Ember_ is another book that would work well with middle school, is
squeaky clean and is on the list of several state's book awards. I just
finished reading this one and think it would be very powerful used in a
discussion with a whole school setting. The story is set in the future and
has a boy and a girl as the protagonists.

- - Hope was here by Joan Bauer or Stand Tall by Joan Bauer
http://www.joanbauer.com/jbhome.html   (Interesting web site if you have a few
minutes.)

- - Our district just wound up our first "One Book, One Community" project.  We
used "Hoot" in grades 3-12 and the students seemed to enjoy it.  Book definitely
appeals to both boys and girls.

Several years ago, Gordon Korman presented at the district I was working in at the
time.  He had just launched several new adventure series, Dive, Everest, and
Island.  My 6-8th grade boys are avid readers of this series, but not too many
girls have checked them out.  I recently read his first installment ("Chasing the
Falconers") in his newest series On the Run and would recommend that you read it.
The main characters are a brother and sister and I couldn't put the book down. It's
also available in paperback, which was a huge consideration for us when we choose
"Hoot".  Gordon has a website:
http://gordonkorman.com/

- - I would like to recommend the book Whirligig by Paul Fleischman.  It is a
moving book about a young man who, in his failed attempt to commit suicide,
accidentally kills a teenage girl.

- - We do something like this with Naomi Nye's
Habibi. It is a lovely book and Naomi is wonderful
at school visits.

- - Don't know much about author visits, but I absolutely loved Tangerine by
Edward Bloor!

- - I just finished Hoot this morning... I think it's a perfect choice!  No
cursing or explicit scenes, but there are more "complex"
characters/situations that would speak to age-appropriate character
education.  Plus, the main character has SUCH a great relationship with his
parents.  Parents could probably get into the book as well since Haaisen
writes for adults as well as YA audiences.

- - Project Mulberry by Linda Sue Parks

- - I used Mikaelsen's Touching Spirit Bear as one of our
Pass It On book selections last year.  Everyone raved
about it: students, faculty, girl/boy, all three grade
levels, etc.  I think it would be a good fit

- - Dovey Coe
A Long Way from Chicago

We are doing Among the Hidden and Running Out of Time by Haddix in the
fall and having her speak.

I've done Hoot and Al Capone does my Shirts with my after-school book
club and they loved both titles.

- - Our school recently had a new YA author visit...his name is Jordan Sonnenblick
and his book is Drums, girls and Dangerous Pie.

- - I love the idea of an all middle school read! One title you might consider
is Petey by Ben Mikaelson. Our 8's all read it during the week in the spring
when they all work on community service projects.  It's a very easy read for
them, but because it's a week they have no homework, we have them do a
number of reflections on the ideas in the book, especially as it relates to
the idea of helping others in the community. I'm sure it would be manageable
for 6's, and there's quite a lot to work with.

- - I just read your email and thought I should introduce myself. I'm the  author
of THE ANYBODIES series (for ages 9-13) written under the pen name  N.E. Bode
-- _www.theanybodies.com   (http://www.theanybodies.com)  .

- - _Touching Spirit Bear_ by Ben Mikalesen would be excellent.

Thanks again.
Chris

Christine Findlay, CRC Director
Centerville City Schools