There are a couple of specific pieces to note here (I posted a little
bit about this on my blog); There really needs to be some discussion of
how to evaluate, no mention of formally integrating research literacy
skills into what could really be a fine piece of real purpose writing.

It is important that student researchers understand the need for and how
to apply a critical application of evaluative skills.

It would be an interesting experiment to have  a group work up an
article based on a specific piece of classroom study and specific
interests (say - early inhabitants or european exploration of your
state) with cites and signed with qualifications (Mrs. Smith's 8th grade
Washington history class) and put it up as a new article and link to
appropriate parts of what is there. The specificity of focus will add to
the body of knowledge in wikipedia. The teacher and librarian would have
some background knowledge that will help in helping student researchers
evaluate resources. The narrowness of focus helps improve the writing
and would help limit later editors to those with some expertise in the
topic.

Robert Eiffert
Librarian, Pacific MS  Vancouver WA
pac.egreen.wednet.edu/library beiffert@egreen.wednet.edu