Thanks so much to everyone who offered suggestions about choosing an ELMO Visual
Presenter. Comments below give me a better basis for making my choice. Thanks again
for your help!--Mary Ann

The larger ones allow for so many more options that once you have them, you
don't want to go back.  The lights are very useful as is the ability to zoom
in and rotate objects. I'd go for the bells and whistles if you can afford
it and don't need to move it around.
*********************
I had the small one that folded up into a small
compact package which I thought was going to be
wonderful and portable but it just totally frustrated
me.

The light casts a blue tinge to everything and it
would not raise up high enough to be effective when
sharing a picture book.  The reflection of the light
on the page made it very difficult to use.

It worked very well for sharing letter size documents
and very small items like coins etc. but later when I
worked with a full size Elmo with lights from the side
etc., I gnashed my teeth that our campus only had the
dinky one.  The larger ones where so much better for
modeling notetaking techniques, picture books, etc.
************************
I would recommend you go for the HV110XG which is digital and has a
light. I had an EV-200 and had a problem with light. I tried a variety
of lights around it and still was not happy. I then purchased the
HV110XG which has a light and a few additional features. I am much
happier. Both units are really the same size and are both compact.  If I
had enough money I would purchase one of the new ones that have a
movable light and camera. I know that now that I have started using mine
**************************
We have an Elmo at my school and it is great!  You can project
documents, books, 3 D objects, etc.  I use it to project a picture book
while I am reading it and the students love being able to see the
pictures in the book well. It has a zoom lens so that you can see the
details of an object better than you can with the naked eye.  We put a
rock on it and you could see all the grooves in detail.  Plus, it has
software so that you can feed the image to a computer and make a movie
of a presentation.  The projected image looses some color, that is the
only disadvantage.

It is lightweight and folds up.  I'd recommend it.

Here is something to consider.
The absence of the light feature will have to be considered.  For this model
to work it would need a light source to get a better image on screen.  In a
semi-darkened room it will probably be hard to focus on.  I have used the
larger models and played around with the light feature off and found that it
works better with a light source.

You may consider buying it if you also consider purchasing a small lighting
source.
Look at this site:

http://www.lawofficecomputing.com/old_site/Reviewsdata/jj03/ElmoEV-200.asp

****************************
I use one of the larger ELMOs, with the side lights, etc. It is great
to use. There is a very slight delay in what you see on the screen
and what you are doing at the ELMO. It doesn't bother me, but a
couple of staff members didn't like using that model because it
bothered them motion sickness wise. I haven't seen the smaller ELMO.
However, we bought AverVisions for the whole staff, which are
similar, smaller, portable, etc. They are great, but show a smaller
portion of a page. They are less expensive than the ELMOs/

"Try curiosity!"  Dorothy Parker
Dr. Mary Ann Bell
Assistant Professor
School of Library Science