               WARNING, CAUTION, DANGER, AND BEWARE!
               Gullibility Virus Spreading over the Internet!

   WASHINGTON, D.C.--The Institute for the
Investigation of Irregular Internet Phenomena
announced today that many Internet users are
becoming infected by a new virus that causes them
to believe without question every groundless
story, legend, and dire warning that shows up in
their inbox or on their browser.  The Gullibility
Virus, as it is called, apparently makes people
believe and forward copies of silly hoaxes
relating to cookie recipes, email viruses, taxes
on modems, and get-rich-quick schemes [perhaps
conspiracy theories should be included here].

   "These are not just readers of tabloids or
people who buy lottery tickets based on fortune
cookie numbers," a spokesman said. "Most are
otherwise normal people, who would laugh at th
Áe same stories if told to them by a stranger on
a street corner."  However, once these same
people become infected with the Gullibility
Virus, they believe anything they read on the
Internet.

   "My immunity to tall tales and bizarre claims
is all gone," reported one weeping victim.  "I
believe every warning message and sick child
story my friends forward to me, even though most
of the messages are anonymous."

   Another victim, now in remission, added, "When
I first heard about Good Times, I just accepted
it without question.  After all, there were
dozens of other recipients on the mail header, so
I thought the virus must be true."  It was a long
time, the victim said, before she could stand up
at a Hoaxees Anonymous meeting and state, "My
name is Jane, and I've been hoaxed."  Now,
however, she is spreading the word.

    "Challenge and check whatever you read,"  she says.

   Internet users are urged to examine themselves
for symptoms of the virus, which include the
following:

      Ÿ      * the willingness to believe improbable stories without thinking

         * the urge to forward multiple copies of such stories to others

         * a lack of desire to take three minutes
to check to see if a story is true

   T. C. is an example of someone recently
infected.  He told one reporter, "I read on the
Net that the major ingredient in almost all
shampoos makes your hair fall out, so I've
stopped using shampoo."  When told about the
Gullibility Virus, T. C. said he would stop
reading email, so that he would not become
infected.

   Anyone with symptoms like these is urged to
seek help immediately.  Experts recommend that at
the first feelings of gullibility, Internet users
rush to their favorite search engine and look up
the item tempting them to thoughtless credence.
Most hoaxes, legends, and tall tales have been
widely discussed and exposed by the Internet
community.

   Courses in critical thinking are also widely
available, and th   ×ere is online help from many
sources, including

         * Department of Energy Computer Incident Advisory
            Capability at
                 <http://ciac.llnl.gov/ciac/CIACHoaxes.html

         * Symantec Anti Virus Research Center at
                 <http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/index.html

         * McAfee Associates Virus Hoax List at
                 <http://www.mcafee.com/support/hoax.html
         * The Urban Legends Web Site at
                 <http://www.urbanlegends.com

         * Urban Legends Reference Pages at
                 <http://www.snopes.com

         * Datafellows Hoax Warnings at
                 <http://www.Europe.Datafellows.com/news/hoax.htm

   Those people who are still symptom free can
help inoculate themselves against the Gullibility
Virus by reading some good material on evaluating
sources, such as

         * Evaluating Internet Re  search Sources at
                 <http://www.sccu.edu/faculty/R_Harris/evalu8it.htm

         * Evaluation of Information Sources at
                 <http://www.vuw.ac.nz/~agsmith/evaln/evaln.htm

         * Bibliography on Evaluating Internet Resources at
                 <http://refserver.lib.vt.edu/libinst/critTHINK.HTM

   Lastly, as a public service, Internet users can
help stamp out the Gullibility Virus by sending
copies of this message to anyone who forwards
them a hoax.

   ****************************************   /*********************

   This message is so important, we're sending it
anonymously!  Forward it to all your friends
right away!  Don't think about it!  This is not a
chain letter!  This story is true!  Don't check
it out!  This story is so timely, there is no
date on it!  This story is so important, we're
using lots of exclamation points!  For every
message you forward to some unsuspecting person,
the Home for the Hopelessly Gullible will donate
ten cents to itself.  (If you wonder how the Home
will know you are forwarding these messages all
over creation, you're obviously thinking too
much.)

         ACT NOW!  DON'T DELAY!  LIMITED TIME!  NOT SOLD IN ANY STORE