Dear Rachel
I am responding to you and the list because this is an issue being addressed
globally.

I did purchase Phoenix and have four copies of Half-Blood Prince (as of 4 minutes
ago) for my
library because I believe that I have a duty to offer them to my students.  I
noticed, as did many
of us, particularly after the first two, that it was as much a social thing to have
read them (like
having seen the latest movie, or being an adult who has not read The Da Vinci Code)
as anything
else, and therefore many began to read who would not normally.

Some librarians have said that if they want it they can buy it, but here,
full-price for this book
is more than an expensive glossy coffee-table book  (because we don't have the
population to drive
competition of bulk sales and lower prices) .  At about $US35.00 it is out of the
reach of some of
my families,  So, again, I have a responsibility to make it available.

However, with both, I have restricted everyday circulation to our Yr 5s and the
handful of Yr 6 we
have, with the proviso that any younger student who brings a note signed by the
parent giving
permission may also borrow it. I have talked to them about Harry now being in Yr 11
now, and I have
advertised this situation through the school newsletter so parents know the score
and understand
that I am exercising professional judgement, not censorship.

Where I am perhaps more fortunate that some of you, in US terms, we are as small
school of 470 and I
know all the kids because I have taught them all for a few years now, so even if
someone brings in a
note and I know their ability and interest level will be an issue, I talk to them
about the length
of the book and they might find it difficult and if so, it's okay to return it
unfinished  If there
is no copy available, I put them on the reserve list.  I just organise it that
older kids get their
turn first.

Often, though, they will say it's to be their next family bedtime read-aloud, and
again, knowing the
families, I know whether this is likely, so they get it when it is available.  This
revival of
family read-aloud time has only come since the success of HP1, and I am constantly
asked by parents
for recommendations of stories to read.  It is all good.

I will be interested to hear how others are dealing with this though.
Barbara

Barbara Braxton
Teacher Librarian
Palmerston District Primary School