Hello Everyone,

I've been lurking for 2 years, throughout my MLS program, and am now
very happily starting my first professional job! Of course I have many
questions, but I will try to hold it to the few most important ones
here! (I have searched for hours through the archives and gotten loads
of good information, also.) I will post hits of the information I
receive.

Background: I am the librarian (with no staff) in a 320-student grades
7-12 public charter boarding school.

1. I have no assistant in my library. I want to be able to work with
classes and still keep the library open for any students who want to
browse, read, or check out books. Suggestions as to how to do those
things with only me?

2. Has anyone worked with the ILSSL and the "Making Standards Work"
process in their schools? Our school is working with this system now,
and it seems very good. I am attempting to fit the ILSSL standards into
the "Power Standards" framework (of "Making Standards Work").

3. When you have a middle school and high school together, do you do
anything to separate the various levels of fiction? Or do you deal
one-on-one with a seventh grader who may want to read something you feel
is inappropriate? Do you intershelve all fiction, including titles that
are adult titles appropriate for high schoolers?

4. I have seen many hits of magazines that are best for middle school
and high school. I would love to see anyone's current list of
periodicals that are popular at these levels.

5. What do you do when the library is used as a hallway to get from one
side of the building to the other (or just to walk through because it's
there)? I've learned there was progress made last year on this issue,
but it still needs more work. There is no alternative hallway to walk
in.

6. How do you handle young teen girls who are reading books definitely
aimed at adults, such as street lit titles? I'd rather see them reading
those than nothing, and so I'm trying to work out a policy that involves
adding some titles to the collection but not actually putting them on
the shelf. Would love to hear what anyone is doing with that.

7. And finally (for now!), this year I will be "repossessing" a rather
large (for us, at least) room that is inside the main library. It used
to be the college and career counseling suite. It comes with a few
bookshelves attached to the wall, and the room is about 10 feet by 20
feet (give or take, I haven't measured it yet). What would be your ideal
use for that type of room? It has windows into the main library and into
the outer hallway, and I can see the inner windows from my office desk.

Thank you so much for all your help and ideas! Becoming a school
librarian (my title here, which I am very happy with) is the best move
I've ever made!

Nancy KapLon, MLS
Librarian
The SEED Public Charter School