I think I have written my opinion before, because this is a soapbox of mine so ...

From Mary's post ... "Kohn discusses why rewards, including praise, fail to promote
lasting
behaviour change or enhance performance and frequently make things worse"  What a
load of bollocks
that is, especially about praise.

I don't believe that there is anyone, adult or child,  who doesn't respond to
praise - just a simple
'well done' or other verbal acknowledgement of our efforts makes us all feel good,
and is one of our
basic needs if we subscribe to Glasser's theories.  Can you imagine how long you
would stick at your
job if no one ever acknowledged  that your work is important/ valuable to them?

Telling a child that you recognise the contribution they are making to their own
learning is
essential if they are to make that extra effort.  Case in point ... very bright
kindergarten child,
often on the point of tuning out and without a lot of friends because of her
eccentricities, told us
yesterday that the story I had just read, Goodnight Owl by Pat Hutchins, was a
story about revenge.
It was so out of left field, and so spot on that I told her so and not only did she
glow, she stayed
in tune for the rest of the session AND contributed. When the rest of the kinders
came throughout
the day and I shared the same story, I told them what Phoebe had said and so
started the tiniest
shift in attitude towards her.  Tell me that that is not going to have a
long-lasting, cumulative
effect on both Phoebe and her class. I bet you anything Phoebe will come next week
tuned in, not
out.

Little children do not have the longest memory span, which is why they will their
parents nothing
when asked what they did at school.  It's because there was nothing so
extraordinary that it stands
out in their memories- but pop a sticker on their collar or a  stamp on their hand,
and they will
remember what it is what they were rewarded for and talk about it. This gives the
parents the
opportunity to reinforce the positive behaviour, and for some students, taking home
a positive from
school rather than a negative, is critical. Students who are having trouble
managing themselves in
class will try extra hard if there is a reward that means something for them to
work towards.  How
often, as a classroom teacher, did I divide a session into 15 minute slots (that
gradually became 30
mins) and if Johnny or Mary had managed an agreed behaviour for that time, there
was a sticker (ie
visible acknowledgement) on the card and so many stickers (maybe three a session)
gave them a small
reward, as an acknowledgement of their effort. This was always done in consultation
with the parents
who also agreed on a special treat in exchange for reaching a particular,
cumulative target.  It
helps kids set goals and feel the pride in achieving them.  The stickers are more a
visual tracking
of their progress so they can see they can do it.  Do we not do this for ourselves?

As well, we also publicly acknowledged all students with certificates for achieving
something
special, whether academic, social, behaviorial, whatever  at weekly assemblies- not
only do these
boost the child's self-esteem, it showed us all that everyone was good at
something, even the
ostracised child, and it all went towards others changing their attitude about that
child - as in
Phoebe's case.

So, sorry, but when it comes to little children anyway, Mr Kohn is not right.  30+
years of working
with these little tackers tells me that.

That all said, I don't believe in rewards like golden dollars (whatever they are)
or pizza parties
or the humiliation of principals because individuals, classes or schools have read
a certain number
of books, earned a certain number of points or whatever because the rewards have
nothing to do with
the task, and you have to ask what is the purpose that the student has completed
the task.
Certainly, older children and adults probably don't need continual visual reminders
of success,
although personal acknowledgement from someone whose opinion they value, remains
essential. It
becomes a case of the rich get richer, and for reluctant readers we need to foster
an attitude
change, beginning on a much broader level than reading.  Motivation comes from
within - but that's
for another time or maybe a column in Teacher Librarian. So maybe Mr Kohn was right
(except about
praise) if he was referring to older people.

This is way too long - but one last thing.  No way is my pay cheque (or Mr Kohn's)
a "reward".  I
sell/exchange my time, experience and expertise with my employer in return for the
currency of the
day - in Roman times, it would have been salt.  That's the contract we have and it
is a commercial
deal.  But I choose to share that time, experience and expertise with my
colleagues, such as you,
for free and expect nothing in return - although the praise is nice :>}
Barbara

Barbara Braxton
Teacher Librarian
Palmerston District Primary School