Thank you all for this very enlightening discussion.

I work on the Quests.  For those of you who don't know them (i.e.
MayaQuest), they are inquiry-based adventure learning programs in which
students can direct an expedition team, via an interactive website, in an
effort to solve a mystery.

As part of the experience, classrooms are asked to make ethical and
logistical decisions.  They are given a dilemma encountered in the field,
several possible solutions, and asked to vote and provide a supporting
statement for their choice - or come up with their own idea.  These
statements are then posted to the website for everyone to read.  When the
Quests were part of Classroom Connect, the "best" responses were given
gold stars and the class that earned the most gold stars earned a small
reward at the end of the expedition.  There were some discussions about
whether or not to continue with the gold star system, but the system
remained.  Now that we are on our own and ramping up for a new expedition,
I'd like to revisit this idea.  I would love to hear your feedback about
how we might do a better job.  Should we simply post their responses?
Lead with a "thanks for your ideas" message and highlight a few well
thought out statements?  We want to do what we can to encourage student
inquiry and a love of reading and writing.

Thanks again for the very interesting messages.

Best wishes,

Sarah Kast
Quest Network and Blue Zones
sarah@questnetwork.com