Heather,
You have my sympathy on your father-in-law's passing, and he has my respect
and admiration for his service to our country. I work in a school where a
relatively high number of students go on to the military rather than
college. Yes, for some it is a step up. For others it is simply a choice
that they make, a choice, I might add, which does many of them a world of
good. I had a student aide this year who was a handful, to say the least. He
is very intelligent and could be going to college but chose to join the
military instead. He knows that he has a lot of growing up to do and
discipline to learn. I would never thwart any students' plans to enlist. I
commend them for their sacrifice and courage. Let us not forget that without
a war, we would not enjoy the free democratic society that we have today
where anti-war sentiment can be freely expressed. Without a war we would not
have the diverse society we enjoy today where ALL our members are allowed
this free expression. And without a war, many more Jews would have lost
their lives in concentration camps, and the European continent would look
considerably different. Yes, war is evil, but sometimes necessary. And the
defense of our country is not optional. Those students who choose to join
the military deserve our respect and gratitude.

Marsha Redd
Librarian, Kelloggsville High School
Grand Rapids, MI
marsharedd@hotmail.com
Education is not a goal; it is a life-long process. Everyone is a student.
Everyone is a teacher.