The collection balance issue was what I first responded to when the original
message was posted.  My comments related to making sure that both sides of the
issue were given equal treatment in the library --- to provide for all students,
the opportunity to investigate the issues, to learn the positive and negative
points involved, and to make good choices for themselves.  As librarians, our role
would be to help them locate the information and to share the information with
them, regardless of their view of the issue or our own personal stance.

In regard to providing space in the library for military personnel to recruit, I
also feel that (just as in a public library situation), if you provide the college
recruiters the opportunity to set-up a college and career day for those planning to
attend college, the same space should be provided to the military who want to
recruit students who want to join the service.

While public libraries and school libraries are quite different, the school's
policy (and the library's policy) should reflect an equal treatment (and space) to
those who ask for it--- or provide within the library's policy and procedures
manual, the statement that NO soliciting of any type will take place in the
library.  Then if the school chooses to place college career day / military
recruiting in the gymnasium for students as special events, the library remains as
a "neutral ground" rather than a "battle ground."

Just an opinion.

Shonda Brisco, MLIS
US / Technology Librarian
Fort Worth Country Day School